Time to ask for help

Doug Lester

Ok, I've been trying to find out what type of swords were carried by British infantry officers circa 1700-1750.  I've checked Matt Easton's site and a history site run by an excellent you lady in a push up bra and I seems like there is no reference to before 1796.  Were they something like a pre-spadroon spadroon or a cut and thrust side sword?

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

They didn't really "standardize" on a pattern until the 1740s, and even then it was up to the officer to buy their own.  They were not government-issue until 1790-something.  Any sort of hangar or smallsword would work.  No basket-hilted backswords, they were too old-fashioned by 1700.  No basket-hilted broadswords, not until the Highland regiments after 1745.  

Something like this for the early years: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24660/lot/389/?category=list

or this: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/golding-young-and-mawer/catalogue-id-ibgo10254/lot-7a1f3610-e27a-4d3c-ac6b-a5a900f7e3f0

Either of those would seve admirably up to 1789 or so.

Thanks for the info.  I guess that explains why I can't find a British Infantry sword dating back to the late 17th, early 18th century.  By the way, the site that I was referring to with that's moderated by the young lady (which in my case means any woman under age 50) is well worth looking up for more reasons than she's attractive.  The site is Notes About History on YouTube.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!