James Higson

Stainless Patternwelding

Dear Hivemind,

I am going to start having a crack at stainless PW but am having trouble getting hold of some AEB-L sheet in the UK. I am planning to use 304/AEB-L (as I've heard it is decent and can be hardened). Does anyone have any idea where I can get sheet stock in the uk?

Failing that, are there any other steel mixes that would be appropriate (have contrast once etched, will weld and are hardenable)? 

I would very much appreciate any assistance! Planning to initially make a ring for my brother's wedding but would like to be able to make stainless hardenable knives at some point so that's why the hardenable aspect is relevant.

Anyone who doesnt wish to give away trade secrets in the public forum, please please private message me in the forum messaging system! I will take the info to my grave.

Cheers,

James

get it very hot, keep air away from it, and it will stick!

Just in case you have never seen it, here is J A Loose doing the stainless Damascus ring thing.

Cheers guys! 

Any idea about AEB-L perchance? I know Mr. Loose makes unhardenable stainless PW (as I have some on my finger right now :D ) so I might be able to find the other steel easier I suppose. Why cant random steels be as easy to get here as they are across the pond??? :blink:

Thanks again

J

Edited by James Higson

@owen bush might know. Perhaps you could PM him?

Or maybe @Charles dP

Edited by Joshua States

Don’t know about AEB-L @James Higson but you are probably better situated than any of us for: https://www.westyorkssteel.com/stainless-steel/. I just always assumed you know of them. They do round, flat bar and plate.

Edited by Charles dP

Somewhere around here there’s a page of supplier links by Owen. I cannot find it this morning

Edited by Joshua States

It's in The Way, pinned topic "how to become a bladesmith." Towards the end of the first post.

Cheers guys! I'll check it out

you could also use a combination of 304 / D2 tool steel 

with the high Chromium content D2 is normally referred to as a semi-stainless material

Ooo havent heard of that one! Is D2 hardenable?

D2 is incredibly hardenable.  It can also be used to remove the abrasive from sandpaper with no harm to itself. :lol:  It is also good hammering practice because you can't dent it easily...

• Haha 3