Sign in to follow this  
John N

250 mm K tip Gyuto

Got this one finished up, bar for the sharpening this evening. 

I forged the blade last year, and it was not very pretty, left it too thick from the hammer, and its fought me right the way through as a consequence! - Core is not centered, but its servicable.

The blade is from pre-laminated san mai, with stainless cheeks, and aogami super blue core - The handle is home stabalised spalted beech, and stabalised bog oak.

Not sure if I like it yet, but that might be a consequence of it kicking around the shop for so long. I will put it away for a few days, and look at it with new eyes when I sharpen it!

All feedback appreciated, as ever :)

vFW1Ej8.jpg

zpMIvhU.jpg

AprGtsy.jpg

9okfsOo.jpg

Dkg5jVS.jpg

0wkJ4l0.jpg

• Like 3

I quite like it. Pity about it getting off-centre but nice shape. What size is it?

17 minutes ago, Charles dP said:

I quite like it. Pity about it getting off-centre but nice shape. What size is it?

250mm along the edge, about 53mm at heel - its a bit of a beast!

Its only the 2nd time ive tried a 'K' Tip, the first one had a weld issue so went to the scrap pile. Im not tuned in to making the profile at all - its a bit alien to me!

• Like 1

I like it quite a bit.  I'm not usually a fan of the K-tip, but this one works.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I like it quite a bit.  I'm not usually a fan of the K-tip, but this one works.  

Bill Burke once told me, when I asked for design help, to leave K tips for true single bevel kiritsukes. I have yet to understand why, because your blade is beautiful John!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! - I did not set out to forge a K tip (Im not sure I like them) - but it ended up basically this shape after forging, so I let it be.

Fantastic work as always. :)

I'm usually not a fan of the K tips either, but it works with yours! Very nice work, John.