Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

1070 heat treat temp range?

From what I've been able to google up the recommended temperature for 1070 is 1450F-1525F or 788C-830C in my language ;)

My steel is 40mm and 60mm wide strips cut from 3mm sheets, fully annealed if I have to guess. First question, is there any advantage to normalizing the blades?

Then that 50C window, all I can imagine is maybe thinner steel lower temperature?

I don't use 1070, but I do use 1075 quite often.  I find that I need to be at the top end of that range to get something hardened.

I have a couple different heat treat setups.  The one I use for small 1075 parts is a small laboratory oven and a container of canola oil (sometimes called rapeseed oil in other parts of the world)  When quenching springs for slipjoints, I set the oven to 1525F and quench in oil that has been warmed up to ~130F.

I've tried quenching from 1480F which is where I quench my pattern welded blades from, but the 1075 parts don't get as hard.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Brian, that's all I needed to know........I recently bought 10L of farm-fresh Canola oil, always heat it up to 120/130 (60C)