Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

Vacuum chamber lid

I had been having trouble with the lid of my vacuum chamber with the first lid that came with the unit, becoming opaque with cactus juice contact and the second one is a piece of plexiglass but was  starting to star fracture out from the vacuum guage hole, so I got a piece of 8mm alloy and cut a smaller window so there was complete support with no starting point for any of the fracture starring to start from. There are still the end points of the fracture visible but with all round support and no intrusion through the plexiglass, they should  not continue to develope,  but I will get in a fresh piece  to have on hand just in case.

IMG_20200227_191829.jpg

IMG_20200227_191904.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 2

Howdy!!

What I did with miner is punch a hole trough the side of the chamber pot..(..the metal part..) for the ingress and egress as well as the gauge..that way there is nothing to cause any problems with the lid.. Granted I used a lid that I had cut/fabricated from 1" thick tempered glass for my set up  ..along with some silicon gasket compound to make the seal between the lid and the metal pot..... (Shameless plug..this will be covered in book IV).. I have been using this same set up for many years to get my fossil bovine ivory...

Hope this helps..

JPH

45 minutes ago, JPH said:

Howdy!!

What I did with miner is punch a hole trough the side of the chamber pot..(..the metal part..) for the ingress and egress as well as the gauge..that way there is nothing to cause any problems with the lid.. Granted I used a lid that I had cut/fabricated from 1" thick tempered glass for my set up  ..along with some silicon gasket compound to make the seal between the lid and the metal pot..... (Shameless plug..this will be covered in book IV).. I have been using this same set up for many years to get my fossil bovine ivory...

Hope this helps..

JPH

My pot (heavy guage ss) is 8 in dia and 8 in high so with 5 in handle blocks stacked in there on their ends there is not enough head room for foam etc to use the pot walls for the guages. Have done a few sets of blocks and it is fine but I am going to get in a spare piece to have n store should I ever need it.

55 minutes ago, JPH said:

this will be covered in book IV

Woohoo