How large a blade?

How large a blade could i forge out from a 4 1/2"  x  0.925 x  0.460  bar?  Would that be enough steel for say a 5" hidden tang hunter?

I completed my first successful forge weld last night using some 1 1/4" cable. ended up with about a 10" bar which i split in half.  The plan was to forge weld the two pieces together and then forge a mid size blade from that but now i'm leaning towards making a couple small hunters instead.

Given some losses to scale, you should be able to double the length of that bar.  If you go a little thinner than .250 you could probably get 2 blades that size.

Having said that, I have no idea what tools you have.  I could do it for sure, but I have a hammer and press.   I could do it by hand, but I'd get tired and bored before I got the length.

Geoff

I agree with Geoff.  There are probably 2 blades in there if you try hard enough, but since you are new to this, just try for one, and give yourself plenty of room to grind out the mistakes.

It still amazes me how long of a blade you get get out of a piece of steel once you forge in the point, distal taper and the bevels.

thanks y'all, i thought there might be enough steel there for two smaller blades but i really didn't want to start anything till i knew for sure. may play it safe and just do one but i haven't decided for sure yet.