This is something I've been working on at the same time as my 1st knife. A chip carving knife.  Blade is from a 10" wide bandsaw blade. 080" thick. Claro walnut handle with brass pins.  Still in progress,  but close I believe. Sanded to 600 at the moment. Epoxy used is G flex. Broken pieces were hardening check. Pics of handle just have a little mineral spirits to see grain.

Thoughts? 

20200303_201447.jpg

20200303_201323.jpg

20200302_100444.jpg

20200301_170812.jpg

20200301_112536.jpg

Not quite a scandi,  it's a flat grind with .010"  left. Didn't want to ruin it to take all the way. This only the second blade I've done. 

Just checking.  You wouldn't be very happy if it weren't a flat grind.  Looks like that handle ought to feel pretty good in the hand.  Nice job.  think you'll enjoy using it.

You may be able to get the grain a little finer, but it looks good as-is.  That steel is most likely (98% chance) 15n20.  Look closely at the band, it may have the word "Uddeholm" lightly etched on it. If so, that's 100% chance it's 15n20.

And listen to Chris about the edge, he teaches wood carving!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First "attempt" at carving with my very own knife. Not great but.. practice,  practice, practice. Just like the knife. Not bleeding either...WIN! 

20200321_210242.jpg

Not bad at all, David.  One of my students is a caricature face carver.  How does the knife maneuver in your hand?

Thanks...

Knife feels really good. It's not at all slippy in my hand and contour is great! Skills on carving need to improve :)

Glad to hear it feels good in the hand. You won't carve much if the handle doesn't because you'll start cramping.  From the looks of your first piece, you don't need to really worry about your skills.  Just keep carving, they'll improve rapidly.  I think you have a natural knack for it.  Looks as if you'll make a good carver.  Congratulations.

• 1 month later...

That's awesome! I like the blade profile, it's much broader than my store bought chip knife. I'm also a newbie, and a chip carving knife is high on my list of blades to make. I may borrow that blade shape if you don't mind!

Beautiful handle as well