All-Wood Sheaths?

I hope this is not Too far off the subject(didn't think it warrants a thread of it's own).

My reception is crap at the moment,but i believe we touched on birch burls earlier in this thread.

I just did get to finally use one of the burls i harvested a year ago.The only one usable out of the bunch.

And i just wanted to re-emphasize that difference between the more common/less interesting-grain burl that has smooth bark just like the parent tree,and this other kind-black and fissured and warty-looking on the outside.

Thins is The kind,especially the one that has many little hairy branches sprouting out of it,just like a hairy wart!:)

(them sprigs' what creates the birds' eyes,And convolutes the grain for stability(important for sheaves),and visual appeal(if you swing that way,of course).

45.jpg

46.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope this is not Too far off the subject(didn't think it warrants a thread of it's own).   My reception is crap at the moment,but i believe we touched on birch burls earlier in this thread

Hi Jake   Sorry for the hijack but I seem to be struggling with finding information on these spears. Do you perhaps have any more information or links about these?   Thanks, C

In general, we don't.  It takes time and money to do the testing (often just optical microscopy, sometimes SEM), and even then IF the original surface is present (which it almost never is, especially

Posted Images