Just found out my wife bought me a Coal Iron 16 ton hydraulic press for my birthday. Just had to share...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Congratulations!!!!!!!   May I borrow your wife for "just a little while", Bill?  :D

Edited by Chris Christenberry

:o this reminds me of when my wife first brought up me getting a power hammer. I was looking into getting a BIG anvil and she asked how much more would it be for me to get a hammer. I LOVE MY WIFE!!!:excl:

Nice :)  Happy birthday

Coal Iron isn't too far from you, I assume you just pick it up?

My wife has ulterior motives. She saw the Damascus kitchen knife work I was doing and asked why I hadn't made us any Damascus kitchen knives. I told her that I only can make Damascus when I take classes at Conner Prairie because of the access to power hammers. Otherwise it is WAY too much work. All the Damascus I have made is already spoken for by paying customers.

Plus I have established (through our long marriage) that when I say there is a tool I need for a job, I'm not just saying that to get a tool. I honestly really need the tool.

Wants (what she wants) and needs (what I need to get done what she wants)......

It's a beautiful thing having a understanding wife.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice :)  Happy birthday

Coal Iron isn't too far from you, I assume you just pick it up?

Nope.

It IS only about 45 minutes away, but they have "free shipping" in the C-USA. So why put myself out when I can have a truck with a lift gate drop it off at my front door?

I had thought about contacting them to see if they would swap a die set in lieu of shipping if I came and got it, but then I decided that if I had issues with getting it home (it's not light ), they could probably claim no warranty coverage.

Nice! they look a good press.

My wife is also very understanding of my tool habit ! she barely rolls an eyelid when I start a conversation with 'I might have accidently bought............' 

She does not ask why, in the main, as the answer is nearly always 'I did not have one' :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, John N said:

She does not ask why, in the main, as the answer is nearly always 'I did not have one' :rolleyes:

Mine asks "What will that let you do that you can't do with what you have already?"  I have had to get creative a few times with that one, but once she's satisfied it will allow me to do things either previously impossible/too heavy/significantly faster/easier it's all fine, provided the first thing I do with it is make her something fancy.  

Just now, Alan Longmire said:

Mine asks "What will that let you do that you can't do with what you have already?"  I have had to get creative a few times with that one, but once she's satisfied it will allow me to do things either previously impossible/too heavy/significantly faster/easier it's all fine, provided the first thing I do with it is make her something fancy.  

Its often worth dropping into the converstaion tools are only going up in value, so its really an investment ! :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, John N said:

Its often worth dropping into the converstaion tools are only going up in value, so its really an investment ! :ph34r:

But then I'd have to tell her what I really paid for stuff! :ph34r: :lol:  Kidding, she knows. B)

wow and suddenly getting married and sharing your life with another person doesn't seem so strange or scary. 

Media: "less and less young people are getting married"
Bladesmiths: "dude, Powerhammer? Hydraulic Press? a person who supports your madness?"

22 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Mine asks "What will that let you do that you can't do with what you have already?"  

Mine says the EXACT same line! :D

I do want to add that I did soften her up to a degree when I bought her a compound dissecting microscope from Nikon complete with a dual LED snake lamp and microscope mounted digital camera for her birthday (she's an ecologist that studies spiders and has been wanting a good scope for YEARS). I can now hold over her that she has the most expensive "tool" in the house. The fact that I will be able to use her scope to take pictures of grain patterns and Damascus patterns NEVER played into my thought process...

• Haha 1

Now that's just diabolically clever!  :lol:

Posted (edited)

Well it arrived March 19 and had a few issues with storage - it took my parking space in the garage for a few days as 

Press1.jpg

it seems this model comes as a "some assembly required". As you can see, it came shipped without the casters on.

Press2.jpg

The instructions say "just use your heavy machine lift to pick it up using the provided hole at the top of the press and attach the caster..." One small problem - no lift! So the instructions go on to say if you don't have a lift just slide the "500 pound press" (my words added) to the edge and put the casters on one at a time. Any one have any idea how difficult it is to slide 500 pounds across a sheet of plywood when there are no really convenient handholds? Then came the issue that the pallet was just SLIGHTLY too low to easily get the casters under. But with the help of my wife and son I was able to get all the casters on.

Press5.jpg

Now that it has its casters on it has been moved to a temporary storage place until I can get some time to rearrange the garage. Baring the minor inconveniences of the finish assembly, it seems a really well put together machine. Can't wait for some nice weekend days to get the forge out and try it out.

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer
trying to move pictures
  • Like 1

Your lucky it was only 500 lbs. I had to jockey my 3000 lb power hammer off a pallet and across the shop to where it sits now.:lol:

On 3/23/2020 at 5:09 AM, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Any one have any idea how difficult it is to slide 500 pounds across a sheet of plywood when there are no really convenient handholds?

I do!!!  About a month ago i experienced almost exactly what you are describing with the new 25-ton Coal Ironworks my house mate bought.    A buddy, a couple of pry-bars and a few long pieces of 2" round bar and steel pipe are what we used.   And I do remember commenting on how "easy" sliding the press across the pallet was.

The only thing we did differently (notice I said differently, not better) was to finagle the press off the pallet and onto the driveway first because with the casters on the press, it would have been 1/2" too high to clear her garage door without having to remove some trim.

I forgot to mention moving my 9 foot tall 2000 lb press I had to get into my garage and stand up between the rafters by myself. And now I'm prepping to move a 3800 lb block of steel into the shop for another power hammer build.;)

3 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

And now I'm prepping to move a 3800 lb block of steel into the shop for another power hammer build.;)

Geez man! How many power hammers do you need?  Smurfette isn't enough for you? :D

• Haha 1

If I could have 4 hammers all running. A self contained a pneumatic and 2 mechanicals all set up with different dies I would be happy!!!:lol: I would love a 300 lb chambersburg!!!:P