Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

What investment to use for bronze

It's time to get serous and scratch a 35-year old itch to do some investment casting.  I've dabbled with this a bit, but never made a serious run at it.  I have most of the equipment I need to do small pours safely, and played with some pewter a few years ago.  However, I really want to make some bronze fittings.

What investment do you guys use for bronze?  I have a little bit of Satin Cast left over from before, but it looks like that is no longer available.  I hate to go plunk down $100 on something at random, and the web hasn't been very educational.

I'm looking for a castable investment I can vacuum pour into flasks rather than the dipping slurry type.  At this point, by biggest flask is only 3" so we are talking smallish parts.

6 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I'm looking for a castable investment I can vacuum pour into flasks rather than the dipping slurry type. 

Out of curiosity, why?  I can't help with a suggested material for home use anyway.  I can say I've used silica and zircon based slurries (dip method) with good results in steel and bronze (same mix for both).  

@Jerrod Miller  I don't have enough experience to justify that based on technical merit.  I just already happen to have the equipment to vacuum cast the investment into flasks.  It also 'feels' more appropriate for small knife furniture than the slurry method.  I'm happy to be told I am wrong on this, however.

I've only ever successfully made investment castings via the dipping method.  I would imagine you could make mold that is detailed enough via dipping (using a very fine/thin slurry) and if need be force the metal in.  I have seen people use steam to drive the metal into the mold.  The key to getting metal into a mold via gravity is to make sure you are vented well enough to let the air out of the mold as the metal displaces it.