5 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

went to the grocery store to get some stuff.  Two bags of mandarin oranges on the shelf; I bought one.  It's a good thing that I don't use sliced bread because there were only six loves on the shelf.  The store can't keep meat in the coolers, though they did have fried chicken.  They were low on hamburgers but they had enough for me, just no buns.  Plenty of cat food though (I wonder how it tastes).

When I went to the store yesterday before the lockdown went into effect the meat department was virtually wiped out. What everyone was passing up was the whole Turkeys. I bought the biggest one. Figured we can eat on it for several days. Plus turkey makes me tired and maybe I can sleep all this away!!!:lol: I wanted to get some burger but I guess it was the first thing to go. They did have all kinds of plant based meat products though :unsure:.  They say if you could choose one food to live on for the rest of your life you should choose dog food. It has all the nutrients you need to survive.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're missing the point, it is not and never was about deaths.  The point was and remains trying to keep people healthy enough so as not to overwhelm whatever health care system they have.  A friend

All:   As some of you know, in my day job I run a mid-sized defense contracting company. As a result, I have some insight into what the US government is doing in response to this crisis. 

I have refrained from posting here intentionally in order to get past any initial reactions. It has become obvious that this has become a serious situation but not one that needs to create the panic t

Just my 2 cents on this subject

I would plan on localizing sales efforts knowing that down sizing is simply going to be a fact of life during this pandemic issue.

Possibly diversify and write articles for online publications in addition to hands on work

Network with every conceivable source to broaden your horizons to other avenues such as woodworking groups for sharp tools

leather groups for not only sheaths but items like blacksmith aprons etc...

Life has probably given you an abundance of knowledge that you need to dust off and apply to other areas as you diversify...

Above all else make sure you focus on keeping depression at bay and stay positive....In time this will all just be a part of history...

I suspect a lot of us will be enduring lifestyle changes and challenges going forward

I've ground my own meat for years now.  My wife has some health issues that mean she can only heat the leanest ground beef so I wait for roasts to go on sale and grind them up.  It's cheaper than lean ground beef, and I know exactly what is in it.

I like turkey for chilli and taco meat.  I can usually get turkey breasts after the holidays for less than $1/lb by the time I have it ground up.

I also make a lot of sausage from pork shoulders when they are on sale.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

What everyone was passing up was the whole Turkeys.

1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

Unrelated: I'm hoping people considered stockpiling contraceptives. 

On that note, what will we call them?  My first thought is "The plague babies"  If there's twins "Cold and Misery"

Edited by Gerald Boggs

We went through lean time some years back (company I built homes for crashed and took us with them) so we made a decision and were only going to the city for stores every 6 weeks and could have gone 12 if needed so this short 4 week lockdown (here in NZ) is a bit of a doddle for us. For years I made my own bread in batches and froze them so having to revert to that if necessary gets over the bread problem, always been a hunter and have a full stocked freezer, garden is a must and keeps most vegies coming and a good store of milk powder covers the basics for when the freezer  supply runs out. I buy milk in bulk and decant it into strong 1 liter plastic and freeze them so we have about 4 weeks on hand and powder if we cant replenish the fresh supply. It is a simply expediency to keep a good store of every day needs on hand and something I have been a keen advocate of for many years now. 

I hope all have means to keep themselves healthy and looking forward to better days ahead.

STUNNING! NY Doctor Vladimir Zelenko Finds 100% Success Rate in 350 Patients Using Hydroxychloroquine with Zinc (VIDEO)

The New York doctor also posted a video explaining his success with hydroxychloroquine and Zinc .  His treatment resulted in the shortness of breath issue being resolved in 4 to 6 hours.  Dr. Zelenko in his study had zero deaths, zero hospitalizations and zero intubations!

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/03/stunning-ny-doctor-vladimir-zelenko-finds-100-success-rate-in-350-patients-using-hydroxychloroquine-with-z-paks-video/

I'd double-and triple-check that.  A guy in Arizona just died of trying that stuff.  It's all over the internet, but there's no real proof.

Alan the guy in Arizona took hydroxychloroquine phosphate which is a sterilizing agent for aquarium tanks....he totally miss fired and ignored the phosphate part...

Chemical information can be very tricky if you don't know all the ingredients....the sad part is he died from it...

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'd double-and triple-check that.

I'll second this. Or just don't even read it.

We are already dealing with a shortage of this medication (which is used for other issues) because a certain political figure mentioned it.

Also, with this kind of click-bait title I can almost guarantee this is filled with false information. From what I have heard the initial information regarding this drug is based on a study out of France that had an N value of 26 patients, several of whom ended up in the intensive care unit. I can also tell you there is a huge amount of work going on as we speak trying to get actual data on things that might help with this specific virus. 

In regards to this whole thread, I guess I can say I'm "lucky" to work in healthcare and therefore have no worry of losing my job, but I do have a significant increased risk of experiencing it first hand, as well and participating in and witnessing the preparations and struggle of the healthcare system to handle the surge... In particular I am in a small resort town with fairly limited resources to begin with and people coming into town from all over to take a "Viral Vacation" and essentially bringing it with them.

Honestly, what Alan said in his first post up there is golden. Stay home, stay safe - if not for yourself but to help those around you who are weaker and those of us dealing with this on the front lines. I can tell you that resources are indeed limited, and if we can slow the spread we can hopefully handle the volume, if we don't slow the spread, things will get iffy (technical term). 

Now - if only they would tell me to go home, I could get to work on some of these projects I have going on.

5 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

On that note, what will we call them?  My first thought is "The plague babies"  If there's twins "Cold and Misery"

Charlie Maguire? Is there a deeper meaning to that song? Were you referencing? Brian, who's Dickens? 

I went to the hardware store and bought "all of the charcoal" 
not a panic hamster buy. just a regular "they reduced the price so im buying everything" kinda buy, lol
so if were going to get locked in, my forge got food, 80-90 kg will last at least a little while.

other than that im not too worried, im sure this thing will be over before we know it.
although...gotta be honest, this is the first time in my life I've experienced something like this.

supermarket counters got plastic screens raised, and multiple security guards??!

also, no more paying with cards, hard cash only.
kinda interesting.

I have stayed out of this conversation just to see where it went. I do have a few comments to make.

This is not overblown in any way. They have stopped counting the dead in Italy and started to triage patients based on survivability factors. Huge moral and logistical dilemmas for medical professionals. With a possible infection rate of 70% (without a massive lock down Wuhan style) and a .1% fatality rate (yes, that's 1/10 of 1%) our nation of 350M is looking at a possibility of 245, 000 fatalities at the worst case. Try to imagine that for a moment. Try to imagine even cutting that in half. It boggles the mind.

The real reason people are thinking this is overblown is the fact that so many of our recent pandemics were met with similar strategies and they worked. People started to think, "why did we go through all of that? Nothing happened!" Yeah, well so little happened because enough people took the right precautions. Now too many people think everything is "overblown:" So we have folks here in AZ out playing basketball, and mobbing hiking trails, because they think it's all hyped. Folks in FL and CA crowding the beaches with little or no concern.

It's foolishness.

Right now, state and local governments are wringing their hands while they contemplate the economic impact of a lock down. Maybe they should try doing the math instead and think about the economic impact of hospitalizing 10%-35% of their population.

Another thing about uncontained viruses. They travel. They will circumnavigate the globe 2 or 3 times before tapping out. Most epidemiologists expect this to pass out of the northern hemisphere in a few months, only IF we stick to the isolation procedures. If the rest of the world doesn't get with the program, we can expect this to return again by November or December.

The planet is sending us to our rooms to think about what we have done and how we will proceed. 

27 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Brian, who's Dickens? 

Ahh, the youth of today. That would be Charles Dickens.   At least you have good taste in music :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Experts Questioning the Corona Virus Panic”

Completely unofficial opinion ahead, but I kinda wish these experts would use their expertise to buy a couple more ventilators for the hospitals that are currently trying to decide which patient needs it more.

It's funny.  My local town declared a local emergency 2 weeks ago.  Very prudent,  gotta get in on that gooberment money you see.  No confirmed cases in the county as of yet. Then they close all the city offices.   No visitors, for the safety of our employees and all that.  Very smart, very smart. Schools are shut down too.  As are all the court houses.   Then the mayor comes out and says,  "We have no plans to shut down local businesses."    :unsure:    So the county gets a paid vacation,  gooberment money, meanwhile the hospitals are understaffed,  they cancelled all appointments for non virus related things,  and people that have waited months just to see the Dr., get to stay home and wait.     And the price of a small 4 pack of TP doubled and you are limited to 1 pack.

Makes you want to laugh.   Just don't ask any questions...

Edited by Bruno
6 hours ago, Bruno said:

the hospitals are understaffed,  they cancelled all appointments for non virus related things, 

Article on NPR.  Many rural hospitals are dependent on the services they are no longer allowed to perform and as a result, some will go bankrupt and close.  It was already a problem before the scare.

11 hours ago, Bruno said:

It's funny.  My local town declared a local emergency 2 weeks ago.  Very prudent,  gotta get in on that gooberment money you see.  No confirmed cases in the county as of yet. Then they close all the city offices.   No visitors, for the safety of our employees and all that.  Very smart, very smart. Schools are shut down too.  As are all the court houses.   Then the mayor comes out and says,  "We have no plans to shut down local businesses."    :unsure:    So the county gets a paid vacation,  gooberment money, meanwhile the hospitals are understaffed,  they cancelled all appointments for non virus related things,  and people that have waited months just to see the Dr., get to stay home and wait.     And the price of a small 4 pack of TP doubled and you are limited to 1 pack.

Makes you want to laugh.   Just don't ask any questions...

It does seem silly in an area like yours that has no confirmed cases.  We had no cases in my county when we started isolating either.  Now we have six confirmed, and it doesn't seem quite as silly.  And declaring an emergency doesn't give you government money.  Who says you can't ask questions?  If it's your elected officials, remind them who elects them.

We have the second highest number of confirmed cases of the counties in our state.  I'll be staying home like they are saying until the all clear bell is sounded!  :D  I'd be a danged fool to do otherwise.

this is only a problem because it might kill all the old politicians that killed my job and think i should be working. 

have any countries tried making the virus illegal yet?

there are more people than ever using the hiking trails here, everyone is making a bunch of noise at home, and despite the trails being full everywhere else finally isnt overcrowded, this is the best thing to happen to austin in ten years.

Had a thought this morning (bad habit)  How many days supplies do hospitals keep in hand?  The answer:  Recommended 96 hours plus 20%.   I'd say "In hindsight, a poor decision" But a web search shows that people already thought the practice was a bad idea.  Add to that, earlier this year, the Chinese came to the US and bought up as many masks and respirators they could get.