Sign in to follow this  
Faye

American Tanto

This is a commission knife that I am having problems with. It is my first crack at a frame tang. The handle is 5/8" wide, but has enough depth that it is easy to hold on to. The handle is a bit blocky, but given the pin placements I hesitate to round the corners off any more.

I am really struggling with the overall look of the knife too. It just seems off. 

What are your guys thoughts and opinions on it? Is it just me or does it look bad? 

Please critique away.

IMG_20200317_205814525.jpg

IMG_20200317_205936984.jpg

IMG_20200317_205940145.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with you that the handle looks a little blocky.  BTW, is the handle wood Osage Orange?  If it is it's going to turn a russet brown.

Doug

The handle is proportional, so that's good, but yeah, it's a bit blocky for a tanto style.  The other thing that catches my eye is that tantos, especially the American tanto, are known for very crisp grind lines.  these are a little rounded over for the style.  That said, excellent job on the tsuba/guard!  Ovals are hard for me for some reason.

It's not bad at all, and I understand your worry about the pin placement is why you left it kind of blocky.  It might be possibly to crisp up the grind lines, but it'll be hard with the handle and guard mounted.  Which leads me to another option: You say it's a frame handle?  You can always grit your teeth and knock out the center pins to remove it, crisp up the grind, and make a new handle with a wider frame (narrow the tang first!) so your pins can be further from the corners.  Your call.  The hardest part about being a bladesmith is accepting that sometimes we have to start over if we don't like the way a commission is turning out.  I learned that the hard way, we all do.  We are also our own worst critics, though, so:

One more option: You can always show it to the customer and ask if it's exactly what they wanted.  If it is, you're done!  If not, well, there's the previous paragraph...  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Yes, I agree with you that the handle looks a little blocky.  BTW, is the handle wood Osage Orange?  If it is it's going to turn a russet brown.

Doug

The handle is Osage orange, it's the first time I have ever used it.

@AlanLongmire thank you, though your advice is a little depressing:/ I sent picture to the customer and he liked it, but I want him to hold it in his hands before I am convinced he doesn't want me to change it. If I end up changing anything I'll knock the handle off and fix the grind lines. Thank for your advice though, you are very helpful, as always.

Thank you for taking it in the spirit in which it was intended!  I really don't want to depress you or hurt your feelings!