These are the first two knives completed since November 7th when I sustained a serious hand injury that almost ended my knife making. Partial numbness remains and is a P.I.A. The first is a Nordic basic bushcraft knife for my nephew.  98mm x 24mm blade, cocobolo handle and peened brass bolster.  The second knife is a puukko.  The blade is 100mm x 20mm brass bolsters, ebony spacers and cocobolo handle.  The handle wood is exposed through the rear bolster and spacer.

49652835293_429fd1c0e5_c.jpg

49652791433_988f293951_c.jpg

49670695491_591f19c29f_c.jpg 

49670149963_8e2faaf85d_c.jpg

49670982487_5596c14125_c.jpg (2)

49670695181_1892a75767_c.jpg (2)

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Like 2

Wow!  Nice looking Puukko.  Really like it.  Of course, I'd be bustin' a button if I could make a bushcraft knife like the first one.  So they both are super.

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Sorry to hear about your hand, but your work has not suffered!  That second one is jaw-dropping.  B)

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Looking as crisp as ever.  I'm glad you are back at it.

47 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

Beautiful as always! 

37 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Wow!  Nice looking Puukko.  Really like it.  Of course, I'd be bustin' a button if I could make a bushcraft knife like the first one.  So they both are super.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments on my latest work.  It is great to be back.

Edited by John Myshkoff
3 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I gotta say that your fit and finish has always been top notch, but that puukko is really something else.  Glad to hear you're back up and at it.

Thank you Alex.

1 hour ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Bummer about yer injury but your re-hab work seems to be going great !!!

your work is a pleasure to behold.........B)

Thank you Clifford. You are most kind sir.

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Like 1

John, I also had an accident which hampered one hand. Still have numbness but not near like it was. It gets better over time.

Being a Puukko nut as well.... these are nice!

May I ask what you use to peen the brass guard or pommel, (if chosen)? The texture is very subtle. Something I would like to try.

Kind regards, 

Gary LT

9 hours ago, Gary LT said:

John, I also had an accident which hampered one hand. Still have numbness but not near like it was. It gets better over time.

Being a Puukko nut as well.... these are nice!

May I ask what you use to peen the brass guard or pommel, (if chosen)? The texture is very subtle. Something I would like to try.

Kind regards, 

Gary LT

Thanks for the your kind comments.   The peened texture is simply done with a ball peen hammer with  which I lightly tap the bolster.  The tapping force controls the texture.  My method is to fit the bolster to the blade, polish the bolster usually to 800 or 1000 grit, lastly gentle tapping the peened texture.

I will be posting shortly a new  puukko which is a departure from my usual style.

Newest project is a Kokemäen puukko. These are meant to be plain working knives with no adornment. I added and beveled piece of ebony on the rear of the redheart handle. The redheart works well with the accent and matte linseed oil finish. The rhomboid blade is 80mm x 19mm x 3mm with a rounded spine. This is a departure from my usual puukko style.

49680534381_4be299892f_c.jpg  

49680534216_77520073be_c.jpg  

49680002393_becc247b80_c.jpg  

49680825652_b39c78b695_c.jpg

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Like 2

Thank you John for the details on the bolster peen. I can see I am too forceful and I will also use a different ball peen hammer. I haven’t done many, as I wasn’t pleased with the results, so I set the idea aside

Beautiful execution on the Kokemaen fit as well! The overall shape works as well.

Kind thanks, 

Gary LT

• Like 1

That second one is gorgeous, all three are sweet, but man that second one should have a centerfold. 

Glad to hear you are healing, injuries suck, But I am sure you heard " Drink more water Sailor " enough to know its best to add vodka to that water. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Gary LT said:

Thank you John for the details on the bolster peen. I can see I am too forceful and I will also use a different ball peen hammer. I haven’t done many, as I wasn’t pleased with the results, so I set the idea aside

Beautiful execution on the Kokemaen fit as well! The overall shape works as well.

Kind thanks, 

Gary LT

I polished the ball on the hammer.  Holding the hammer at the head/handle junction also helps to control the texture.  The Kokemaen  is now sharpened and is a sweet little chore knife.  I am working on a 115 mm puukko which will take some design elements from the Kokemaen.

Edited by John Myshkoff
5 hours ago, Robert D. said:

That second one is gorgeous, all three are sweet, but man that second one should have a centerfold. 

Glad to hear you are healing, injuries suck, But I am sure you heard " Drink more water Sailor " enough to know its best to add vodka to that water. 

Thanks  Robert,  you are too kind sir.  I like the Navy quote.

• 2 weeks later...

Always a pleasure to see your work John, and I am super happy your hand healed up.  It would have been a tragedy if you couldn't continue to make knives. 

All of those are wonderful, but as Alan said, that one with the cocobolo handle is stunning.  I can't work with cocobolo anymore because I developed the allergy to it :( 

On 3/29/2020 at 12:05 PM, Wes Detrick said:

Always a pleasure to see your work John, and I am super happy your hand healed up.  It would have been a tragedy if you couldn't continue to make knives. 

All of those are wonderful, but as Alan said, that one with the cocobolo handle is stunning.  I can't work with cocobolo anymore because I developed the allergy to it :( 

Thank you for your generous comments regarding my work.  You are most kind, sir.  I am always well protected when working with cocobolo.  It is known respiratory irritant and allergen.  I have some really beautiful cocobolo and concalo alves which I am going to be using on a pair of Nordic style knives and two puukkot.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 3:54 PM, John Myshkoff said:

Thank you for your generous comments regarding my work.  You are most kind, sir.  I am always well protected when working with cocobolo.  It is known respiratory irritant and allergen.  I have some really beautiful cocobolo and concalo alves which I am going to be using on a pair of Nordic style knives and two puukkot.  

I, unfortunately, did not do my research and didn't realize it was an irritant and sensitizer until I had already used it a lot :| 
I am glad that you knew, so that means we get to see more of what you use it for