Gary Mulkey

2020 Central States Hammer-In

This year's hammer-in will be held  at "The Tired Iron of the Ozarks" in Gentry, AR on Sept 12.  This will mean that there will also be saw mills, hit & miss engines and tractors being used on the grounds at the same time as the hammer-in & knife show.

This year's promoter, Allen Newberry, has asked me to demonstrate forging a guard for a knife.  For this I will be forging a D-guard for a Confederate type Bowie from some antique wrought iron using only the traditional blacksmithing tools shown here in  this video.  (coal forge, hand tools & possibly the 25 lb Little Giant hammer)  This will include the design, shaping & hot punching/slotting of the guard to fit a pre-made Bowie knife blade.   I haven't heard what other demos will be done.  I know that Tad Lynch is doing handle shaping.  I'm quite sure that multiple ABS Masters will be doing other demos as well.

If you enjoy traditional methods and equipment, you should consider putting this event on your calendar.  It's going to be memorable! 

• Like 1

I've already got a parking space for my RV, Gary.  Closest space to the event building.   Allen laughed at me and said he'd never had anyone register that early before.  I'm really looking forward to it.  Never been to a Hammer-In or anything like it.

• Like 1