Sign in to follow this  
Jonathanbradshaw

Paragon sentry xpress 4 kiln

Any thoughts on using a paragon sentry xpress 4 kiln for heat treat? The internal dimensions of the chamber are similar to some of the commercially available heat treat ovens. But not ever having used a heat treat oven, or seriously researched purchasing one, I’m not sure if that is what I should be looking at. 

The reason I am considering this is there is one available locally that they are asking $600 for. 

The "sentry xpress 4" is just the controller, and is found on everything Paragon makes.  What model kiln is it?

Shows how much I know about kilns. That was how the add describes it and says to google the details. It did include a photo of the back plate with the following info:

model E-9t. Part number 09211J1BTA

when I searched for the words in the title of this thread it brought up a kiln in the first few hits that is visually similar to the one in the ad. That was what I based the internal dimensions comment on. Using the part number it seems to be smaller, but I don’t know if that’s a problem. 

Looks like the e9 is a small enamelling kiln, but certainly usable for smaller blades.  Chamber size is 8.5 x 9 x 4.5 inches.  As long as you stick with 7" or smaller blades it would be fine.  Oh, max temp is 2000, so no fancy stainless alloys.

Thanks Alan. So I need about an inch of clearance at each end. A limit of 7” total is pretty restrictive. Getting creative I could be able to get up to about a 12” of workable space (front bottom left to rear top right). But I don’t think this would be a worthwhile purchase given the limitations and cost. For $50 though I would jump on it. 

On a a side note. The possibility of asking a question like this without being ridiculed for not already understanding the subject you are asking about is one of the reasons this is a great forum. 

Without taking the time to Google anything, I would wonder how much the controller is worth, and maybe buy the thing for parts to someday make your own bigger oven.  It may not be worth it, but who knows?  (Answer - anyone who wants to look up the value of the parts.)

if i recall i can get a controller and the bits a pieces to control a kiln for less than $130 and if i shop on some of the parts less than that

18 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

Without taking the time to Google anything, I would wonder how much the controller is worth, and maybe buy the thing for parts to someday make your own bigger oven.  It may not be worth it, but who knows?  (Answer - anyone who wants to look up the value of the parts.)

2 hours ago, dragoncutlery said:

if i recall i can get a controller and the bits a pieces to control a kiln for less than $130 and if i shop on some of the parts less than that

Well there you go, definitely pass on this $600 set-up.  Honestly, I was sure hoping it would be cheaper to buy the parts, but I didn't expect it to be that much cheaper.  

Thanks for the insight.  I would not have thought of using it for parts on my own. But if the parts are cheaper than the used kiln there is no reason to make this purchase. I’m not sure I have the time to build my own anyway (two young children so limited hobby time and I’d rather spend it forging than making an oven).  In the meantime I’ll continue using the forge for heat treat. 

to be fair the paragon controller might be easier to use but once you get the hang of the auburn its not to bad i just sharpy the pertanant info some were and go