Gerald Boggs

Where's your fire extinguishers?

Where's your fire extinguishers?  Not really a conversation, but I was over at a shop and noticed he didn't have an extinguisher mounted by the door.

I have one dry chemical on the wall beside the power hammer where it's a quick grab from the forge, and a CO2 that sits on the floor halfway to the door.  Then there's the old lime bucket left over from when I thought I was annealing stuff.  Just as good as sand for oil fires on the floor or any other "smother and cover" type of situation.  Lids on the quench tanks. A covered oil fire is no longer a fire after less than a second.  Then there's the hose on the back wall outside.  Not that a garden hose is ideal, but it can be deployed if needed.  

Basically the fire extinguisher should be in the place of easiest access and left that way.  Meaning don't pile things in front of it on the floor, make it the easiest tool to get to. Make sure your extinguisher is appropriate for what every your working with. Typically you find 'C' and that covers a good bit of stuff for the average home and workshop.

#2 make sure of the expiration date on your fire extinguisher, when they expire, replace them, most have a life of about 2 years.  When you do need to replace an extinguisher, the old one should be expelled of its contents.  See what regulations your local authorities have on disposing of them.

Don't forget to have one not only in your shop but near the kitchen, and if you have a drier, in the laundry room. 

Mine is 6 feet from my forge.