Randy Griffin

Not trying to re-invent the wheel but...

This is my most recent kitchen piece.  The prototype for this is the single most used knife in my block, to the point if we are both working, my wife and I have to pass it back and forth,  I should just make another for the house.  250mm pretty flat at the heel but swept at the tip.

IMG_1879 (Medium).JPG

Geoff

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

There's a saddle for every butt, and a butt for every saddle.

True. But the risk with a straight edge is that it becomes concave after a few sharpening. It doesn't take much to prevent it from working well. 

Edited by Joël Mercier

9 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

But the risk with a straight edge is that it becomes concave after a few sharpening. It doesn't take much to prevent it from working well.

Also true.

If a customer asks for something because he thinks that will suit him best, who am I to argue with him? It's not my job to tell someone how to spend their money.

I have another customer who wants me to make a "Japanese vegetable cleaver". (As he described it)

He also wants a straight edge. I have not made it yet. I am waiting for him to pester me for it.

• Haha 2

Great knife Geoff.

11 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

But the risk with a straight edge is that it becomes concave after a few sharpening.

When used correctly it shouldn't need to be sharpened often. It would be up to the user to keep this from happening. Of coarse I know how people are and you are right, the edge will become concave. Which brings me to...

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

It's not my job to tell someone how to spend their money.

Charge him to straighten and re-sharpen the edge.

I could keep the edge straight. First, I would make this blade off limits to my wife. Who in their right mind would cut things up on a ceramic plate? :blink: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Randy Griffin said:

When used correctly it shouldn't need to be sharpened often. It would be up to the user to keep this from happening. 

I could keep the edge straight. First, I would make this blade off limits to my wife.  

This .....

I made mine for me so this applies in spades.

• Like 1

I've still got this straight edge knife in my head so I guess I need to make one and move on. I'm using the bandsaw metal so it's pretty thin to start off. I'm going to make it with a single bevel. Even though it's thin, I'm going to grind a urasuki. Spent most of the day making what I need. I cut a 36" radius, a 24" radius and a 12" radius to grind the urasuki and found the 12" works best. Just glue some Emory cloth to it and go to work.

20200405_180201.jpg

I've got about .010" grind in it now. Just need to sand it a little, finish the handle and heat treat it. I'll post updates as I go.