J.Arthur Loose

The Arctic Fire Niello Dagger

It only took 5-6 years. ;)

The blade is a two-core interrupted twist. The handle is sea cow bone, the fittings are about 2lbs of silver with niello inlay, and there are two opals set into the sheath, which is the same from front to back. The stand is black walnut.

niello.dagger.full.stand.jpgniello.dagger.hilt.front.jpgniello.dagger.unsheathed.jpgniello.dagger.blade.back.jpg

• Like 12

Ah, what's a few years between friends?  B)  Way to make a return entrance, sir!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Something tells me I'll be here a lot more often now. Plenty of camaraderie, solid focus, no politics. Back to the good old '00's days. :D

I am done with most social media though posting to the biz page is a necessary evil. I just don't want to read any of it now.

• Like 2

Happy to see this complete! The scabbard fittings kick a lot of ass.

Hey, I think we're about to see a renaissance here guys. It's the apocalypse. Swordsmiths are going to be very, very popular! I'm bullish on bladesmithing!

Grins,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Mmmmmm!! I remember seeing your niello demo for that guard in Artic Fire. It's a treat to see everything all come together! 

Edited by Austin_Lyles
  • Like 1

Beautiful! Love the large contrast between the dark wood and bright fittings.

+1 on the apocalypse sword market :D

• Like 1

Beautiful work and craftsmanship

• Like 1

Well worth the wait if you ask me, this turned out to be a stunning blade. I can't believe it has been 6 years since arctic fire already.

And I agree, old fashioned forums are still my favourite. Social media is nice to share things quickly, but good tested information gets lost in the sea of nonsense too quickly.

• Like 2

What a nice way to start my Monday!   Thanks for posting.  Beautiful.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Absolutely outstanding, sir.  I wonder if you could afford to make that with the price of silver these days.

Doug

Just out of curiosity I looked up the price of silver and saw that it price is actually falling along with most of the other precious metals.  But still, at approximately $558 per kilo, two pounds of silver is going to dig into a budget quite a bit.

Edited by Doug Lester

Silver actually hit a fifteen-year low two weeks ago, but it's clawed its way back up to close to $15/oz.t .  Two weeks ago it was down to $11/oz.t, which might actually be a twenty-year low... 

I'd still like to handle that lovely dagger.  Looks like the blade ought to glow in the presence of orcs...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Silver actually hit a fifteen-year low two weeks ago, but it's clawed its way back up to close to $15/oz.t .  Two weeks ago it was down to $11/oz.t, which might actually be a twenty-year low... 

I'd still like to handle that lovely dagger.  Looks like the blade ought to glow in the presence of orcs...

LOL. I bought a bunch of silver while it was down. ;)

So the funny thing is that I actually forged that blade many, many, years ago. Before the movies and Sting. :D

How does one make a hollow ground leaf shaped blade? 

The bevel angle must change subtly as it passes through the concave section of the blade.  I assume this is one of those high level craftsman/artist things where the changing bevel is just blended in by eye?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

How does one make a hollow ground leaf shaped blade? 

The bevel angle must change subtly as it passes through the concave section of the blade.  I assume this is one of those high level craftsman/artist things where the changing bevel is just blended in by eye?

I didn't think about it. I just ground it, and it all worked out. Not askin' questions. LOL.

Hollow ground leaf blade is tricky. 

If you looked a cross section of these blades (including, I'm assuming, this one) you'd see a hollow grind but with a long, narrow lenticular edge on the wider bits of the blade.

I've done a couple, I spent a lot of time with sanding blocks.

Dave

1 hour ago, J.Arthur Loose said:

So the funny thing is that I actually forged that blade many, many, years ago. Before the movies and Sting. :D

But, did you happen to see the cartoon, or own the read-along record/book set of the 1976 Rankin Bass version of The Hobbit?  It's Sting, dude. B) A platonic archetype, if you will.  The Weta version was lame.  This should have been the movie one!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

But, did you happen to see the cartoon, or own the read-along record/book set of the 1976 Rankin Bass version of The Hobbit?  It's Sting, dude. B) A platonic archetype, if you will.  The Weta version was lame.  This should have been the movie one!

I can't argue that point!

LOL. Grew up LOVING the Hobbit cartoon. Still better than the dumb Hobbit movies. It would be fun to make a knife more like the cartoon, now that I found this:

• Haha 1

By the gods Jul it is good to see your work here instead of on my phone......

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

By the gods Jul it is good to see your work here instead of on my phone......

LOL. It drives me up a WALL that most people just use the internet on their phones now. Especially when trying to sell art. Such tiny screens!

• Like 1

Yeah I know. It drives me up a wall that the nanny filter at work will only show some photos of the work on this site and others get blocked. Then I have to come home to see decent sized photos.

Now that you mention it Alan, that blade does have a bit of a blue tint to it.:P  Might need to check the back yard for Orcs.

Doug

• Haha 1

awesome. great to see you here, too. I love the work.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 4:27 PM, Doug Lester said:

Might need to check the back yard for Orcs.

Knowing Jul, you'll need to bring a shovel........

• Like 1