Sign in to follow this  
J.Arthur Loose

Hearth Steel & Oosic Sax

Here's one I finished up pretty recently. It's hearth steel I made from a pile of old blades I was unhappy with for whatever reason. It's such a satisfying transformation. The handle is oosic, or 10,000 year old fossilized walrus dick bone. It's more difficult to find nice pieces of oosic these days, and I really like this one. I'm honestly torn on whether or not to sell it.

oosic.sax.2.20.unsheathedfront.jpgoosic.sax.2.20.bladeclose.jpgoosic.sax.2.20.handle.jpgoosic.sax.2.20.sheathed.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, nice piece.  The steel looks ancient.

Your hands made that oosic stand proud!  (Sorry, cabin fever is taking hold)

Are all the little lobed sheath fittings investment cast?  If so, could you tell me what investment you like to use for bronze?  It's something I want to try soon, but the options are baffling.

• Like 1

Hey Brian-

Yes, those are lost wax / investment castings on the sheath clips & serpent rings, I use Rio Grande's generic casting investment, good for silver, gold & bronzes, I guess it's the "FOV Caster's Blend," now.

Also, yes, I love the steel. I'll be making more. I have a very big Pile of Shame™ to melt down. :D

• Thanks 1

If I had made that, and there's no way that I have the skill to, I'd have to really be asking myself how much I needed the money from selling it.  That outfit is some real nice eye candy.

Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.Arthur Loose said:

Pile of Shame™

Love it! :lol:  In the event the rest of my division ever goes back to the office and I can actually get some work done I need to do that too.

That said, DANG that's a nice package!  That is indeed a great piece of oosik, and the way you fit the sheath to the angled buttplate is just too cool. Not to mention the ouroboros rings.  Lots of high-end spiffiness all round.  

• Like 1

Great stuff!

I have a bucket full of discarded blades that will one day be reforged/smelted into something, makes me feel better about having to chuck my hard work in a corner.:rolleyes:

I also really love that oosic, I wish I knew how to get some of the stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

I also really love that oosic, I wish I knew how to get some of the stuff.

Hmmm, yes, I had a customer in the Netherlands who wanted to buy one of my pieces and it was going to be a bit of trouble to get the CITES treaty for it, even though it's obviously ancient. You have to send it to the gov't for 3 months and $30 so they can say that it is not modern. So for you it would be difficult. Within the States, there are no restrictions on ancient oosic, but it is getting harder to find nice specimens. It's one of the reasons I'm tempted to keep that one.

Really like the textures on this one. As if the blade and handle where painted with water colors. And the fittings really frame it off. Awesome! 

Yeah I think it is a good thing that the government is strict on ivory like materials, but on the other end I also love those materials and would like them to be available.

The only knife I regret selling had a handle from the bone core of impala horn. That was some great looking stuff and hard to replace.

Awesome Seax. I have a nice piece of oosic sitting in my ivory stash just waiting to the right application. It's only about 4.5" long though. 

• Like 1