Chris Christenberry

Hard-wired Intercom

I've got a phone line that runs from my house 50 feet out to my shop.  When my wife needs me, she picks up her cell phone and calls our home phone...................which I answer in the shop.  When I need her, I call her cell-phone from the land-line phone in the shop.  Makes a nice intercom system for us.  But we are getting ready to disconnect from AT&T and forever give up our land-line.   I still want some way for her to be able to contact me in the shop.............or me her in the house.  My shop is a metal building and there's barely radio reception in there...............but absolutely no cell-phone reception.  Does anyone here know of a fairly inexpensive hard-wired intercom system I could hook up between the two structures?  Any ideas? 

Not exactly what you were looking for, but I live in a metal building and needed cell service, so I went with a WeBoost.  I got the bigger one because I wanted/needed coverage in my whole house (and shop).  It certainly works.  Again, not what you asked for as it isn't exactly cheap, and it is a only wired in that it is a wired signal booster.  

• Like 1

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/italian-military-surplus-ee-8-field-phone-used?a=2184809

You'd need two of these, four D-cell batteries, and a roll of telephone wire.  They have several other nationalities of field telephone, this was just the cheapest.  And it's basically the U.S. Korean War issue version, but with Italian labels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Started doing some searches and video watching last night and realized just how simple it will be to solve my problem.  And my old hard-wired phones will look a sight better than field phones on the kitchen counter. :D

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=DIY+Hacks+%26+How+To's"+Phone+Intercom-Youtube

This video led me to a ton of others and there are even ways to allow for ringing of the phones.  Pretty cool stuff.

Just now, Chris Christenberry said:

...  And my old hard-wired phones will look a sight better than field phones on the kitchen counter. :D

This, my friend, is a matter of taste :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I was thinking from the viewpoint of my little wife.  Me, probably like you, I wouldn't care.  But I really have to remember........"If Mamma ain't happy-ain't nobody gonna be happy!"