Sign in to follow this  
David Pessall

What to hold blade with

I use long needle nose vise grip pliers to hold the blade while it's in the brick forge. By the time I get to the quench the pliers have opened up and bent barely holding onto the blade. I tried beating them back together. Didn't work so well. Looking for something to hold them while in the heat. I'm not making anything very big. I'm only using O1 tool steel (1/8" and possibly 3/16")  and bandsaw blade (15N20 I believe). It doesn't take long for the steel to get red/ orange hot. I haven't just let them sit in the brick forge. I keep moving the blade back and forth thru the flame and hold in the back for a minute or two. Suggestions for a tool that won't bend while in the heat?

Thanks again

Pliers.jpg

Posted (edited)

You'll need to get or make yourself some tongs.  There are a lot of different types for holding different shapes, and everybody develops their own favorites.

You also need to just leave the blade in the forge without holding on to it.  Even tongs will loose their grip if you let them get to forging temps, so you can't really just leave them in the fire all the time  Looking at your forge, it might help to put a small piece of brick on the floor to hole the blade up a bit to make it easier to grab.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Brian,

Do you mean a piece of brick back in the forge to lean against? I had it pulled out like this just to get picture. Usually it's all the way in. 

19 minutes ago, David Pessall said:

Brian,

Do you mean a piece of brick back in the forge to lean against? I had it pulled out like this just to get picture. Usually it's all the way in. 

yeah, to either sit or or lean against so you aren't trying to get a hold of the blade while it is sitting flat on the floor.

This is clear in my head, but I may not be describing it well.

I use some tie/bailing wire through one of the holes I drilled for a pin.

Then I place my blade on a large piece of leaf spring to place it into the forge.

Then when its ready to come out I just pull on the wire enough to get some vice grips on it.

As a newbie myself, I will tell you to get or make some tongs. I bought a set of v-bit tongs and it really changed my forging. They are much safer than my vice grips and needle nose pliers I was using.

Posted (edited)

A piece of angle iron with a slot for the tang sitting on the forge floor so you can set the blade in there and leave it till heated to right temp and then grab with tongs or pliers so that tooling is only in the forge for long enough to place the blade in and remove it when done. No heat build up at all for holding tool. If the angle iron is placed facing into the forge the spine of the blade (to just back from the tip)  is held just off the forge floor for quicker through heating  and the angle iron upstand keeps the tang from all the heat so stays in the softer state (in case you forgot to drill holes etc BEFORE the HT:D)

Edited by Garry Keown