What type sheath for small knife for a beginner

What type sheath for small knife for a beginner with no experience in leather work or tooling? I've read a bunch and leaning towards a basic pouch type. Picture of knife. It's small...overall length is 4 inches. Would it be better to have at a slight angle if possible? 

Thanks again,

David

3 finger ruler.jpg

A basic pouch sheath is about as simple as it gets.  If you can get your hands on one of the late Chuck Burrows' DVDs on sheath making, even as a loaner, it will help you out a lot.  Too bad it went out of production with his death, though I imagine that there are other good videos on YouTube.  You will find different recommendations on threads.  Everyone seems to have their favorites, mine's waxed synthetic sinew which is actually waxed nylon.  Others go with waxed linen thread.  Regardless of the fact that your thread comes waxed, get a cake of bee's wax to add more to it before stitching.  Get a stitching wheel to lay out your holes and an awl to punch the holes, though I use a heavy drapery needled chucked up in my drill press to push the needle through the leather after laying out the holes.  I clamp a board to the press table with a 1/2" hole in the middle and another right at the edge.  The hole in the middle is for punching holes in the leather as it lays flat and the hole at the edge of the board I  use for punching the holes on the edge of the sheath because the sheath won't lay flat after it's folded over.

To make your life easier, get a stitching pony to hold your work while leaving both hands free.  Pick up a couple of pamphlets on leather sewing and lacing, you should be able to get three our four for around $20.  However, if you learn the saddle stitch it will be the only stitch that you will ever need.  Some other things that you will need besides the stitching pony, awl, stitching wheel, needles, and thread are an adjustable groover and some contact cement.  If you want to dye your sheaths get some dyes and some 1' foam brushes to apply them with.

That should be enough to get you started though others may add on things that I might have overlooked.

Doug

• Thanks 1

I ordered the DVD. I'll wait to watch it before I buy any tools or leather. 

Thanks again 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the 1st attempt at a sheath. I don't have any hole punches but a 44 Magnum case was the right diameter. My dye only arrived yesterday. Not sure if I'll dye this one at all. I have 3 more knifes like this I made. The next 3 will get dyed. What do you think?

Thanks for the help!

Knife sheath 1.jpg

Knife sheath 2.jpg

Knife sheath 3.jpg

Looks good so far!  I often don't dye sheaths, but rather treat them with either Red Wing boot and shoe oil or Montana Pitch Blend.  Both of these darken and waterproof the leather.  The pitch blend is even edible if that's your thing. ;) It's a blend of beeswax, mink oil, and pine pitch.

• Thanks 1

The one thing I notices is that you have a restriction at the mouth of the sheath and it belles out further down. There is no advantage to doing this as the width needed for the clearance of the blade can not be made any less at the mouth or the blade will cut it going in so parallel from the widest point of the blade is usually the way to go. Very good first effort though.

Edited by Garry Keown