Sign in to follow this  
John Myshkoff

New puukko blade

Posted (edited)

I reground my H/T rhomboid puukko blade today to get it closer to  final dimension.The taper toward the tip came out perfect.  All four sides came right to the point.  It is 100mm x 20mm x 3.5mm.  It will soon be a new knife.  4 hours later and I am happy. I am still working with partial numbness, but I won't complain, I can now work again.

49724744891_6ee22565ec_c.jpg 

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Like 2

John that’s a lovely blade shape for a Puukko. 

I believe you had stated before you were grinding vertical to get these bevels? (I probably didn’t understand but I though I’d ask?)

The numbness will get better to some degree!

Gary LT

NOICE !!!..................B)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gary LT said:

John that’s a lovely blade shape for a Puukko. 

I believe you had stated before you were grinding vertical to get these bevels? (I probably didn’t understand but I though I’d ask?)

The numbness will get better to some degree!

Gary LT

3 hours ago, Clifford Brewer said:

NOICE !!!..................B)

Thank you Gary and Clifford.

You are correct Gary.  I do grind the rhomboid blades vertically.

Edited by John Myshkoff

Hi John, thanks.

Well, I tried it and will try again but so far I wasn’t my method or results. I do make a distal tapered blade a reduced point. It takes me substantial time. I studied every thins a well known Finnish maker did as I am really sold on his overall design/shape. You know we are only talking of 1 degree here or there.

My hats off to you! I admire your works as others do.

Best regards, 

Gary LT

What a fantastic blade John. I know this is not easy and that looks perfect. Really looking forward to seeing this knife come to life.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

What a fantastic blade John. I know this is not easy and that looks perfect. Really looking forward to seeing this knife come to life.

Thanks Rob.  Right now I'm going through the grits hand finishing the blade then I will make the bolsters and fit the handle.  Six more knives in the early stages of construction are in the works.

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Like 1

My next puukko is coming along. The padauk and ebony handle block is ready to bore for the tang. The oversize front bolster was tightly fitted, a peened texture applied and polished. Blade was repolished to final finish with 800x w/d paper and green compound. Butt cap and front bolster are .188" brass.

49750593823_bf0ff80be7_c.jpg

49751135636_20d1d0ba79_c.jpg