Sign in to follow this  
clint c

Couple Damascus Hunters

Had a fella request a couple hunters and this was the result.  

Radial pattern 1084/15N20 last piece from a billet I made many years ago,  African blackwood and stainless guard.

Random pattern sanmai with 80CRV2 core, elk antler handle.  More of a skinner design.  

Happy isolation,  Clint

IMG_7183_1_1.jpg

IMG_7180_1_1.jpg

IMG_7181_1_1.jpg

IMG_7184_1_1.jpg

• Like 4

Nice knives Clint. That pattern on the first one is very cool.

Clint,

both of these blades have really nice pattern, each to its own design. Well done! I envy the SanMai design myself, it’s what I’d like to accomplish because the light steel is blade edge while the rest of the blade etch just flows light/dark. Gorgeous.

Would you elaborate how you did this?

(PM or for all!)

Kind regards, Gary LT

HI Gary, it is a typical San-mai blade, one layer of damascus, a layer of core material (80crv2 in this case) and another layer of damascus - I usually make the core slightly thinner, if they are all the same thickness the demarcation line rises on the bevel.  I think I went about 3/16 thick for the damascus layers and 1/8 thick for the core on this one.  Forge weld the sandwich together, forge your blade with attention to keeping the core centered.  Clint

That first one for some reason reminds me of some of the older WW2 Japanese propaganda artwork they did. Not saying that is a bad thing mind you. 

They look great, Nicely done.