Sign in to follow this  
Faye

A couple of cowboy knives

I made these for some rancher friends of mine. Both blades are forged from horse shoe rasps. 

The first one is 7 1/4" overall, with a 3" blade. The handle is made of brass, katalox spacer, green fiber gaskets, and Indian rosewood.IMG_20200403_184914200.jpgIMG_20200403_184840618.jpgIMG_20200403_184746366.jpgIMG_20200403_184635657.jpg The blacksmith knife is 7" overall, with a blade length of 2 1/4".IMG_20200403_185302266.jpgIMG_20200403_185238367.jpgIMG_20200403_185341836.jpg IMG_20200403_185131669.jpgThese sheaths bear my first attempts at carving. The C lightening bolt brand was hard and didn't quite turn out as sharp as I wanted it to. 

Critiques and thoughts are welcomed. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Well, the finish on the blades looks very nice and I really like those holster-sheaths. (nice belt too!)

If I can be perfectly honest here, I'm not a big fan of the handle on the first one. I'm sure it feels very friendly in the hand, but I would hesitate to make something like that on a serious working knife. It lacks any definition in design. To me it looks like you lost interest after the blade was finished and had the guard set.

The blacksmith knife looks good. (except for that split in the spine) The guard may be a little too long because the tang area behind the ricasso is too wide.

Take a look at Lin Rhea's work on these types of knives (he calls them the X-Rhea) to get an idea of the proportions and forging.  http://rheaknives.com/

I like the choil notch. Very clean. I tend to locate these so the plunge cut comes down in the center of the arc, or intersects it. That just looks better to my eye than having it on one side.

I think I have a picture of what I mean somewhere, Ill see if I can find it.

Good work though. Your finish looks like you really took some time to get it right (or you learned how to make it look really good in the photo! :P)

I'm gonna steal that holster sheath design.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Thanks 1

I found that pic. It's in this post from 2015 (wow that's a long time ago)

Nice work Faye, really like the sheaths too. Bet they will be put to good work.

• Thanks 1

Well done!  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joshua States said:

If I can be perfectly honest here, I'm not a big fan of the handle on the first one. I'm sure it feels very friendly in the hand, but I would hesitate to make something like that on a serious working knife. It lacks any definition in design.

To be perfectly honest, that handle is nothing like my original design. Shaping handles is one area of knifemaking that I haven't established a good routine for. With this one I was grinding along, and getting ahead of myself until I realized I no longer had enough material to do my original design. That is how it ended up being so wimpy. I have considered taking it back up to the shop and taking the curve farther up into the guard area so that the index finger has a solid place to be. My only hesitation is maybe making the front of the handle to small, or grinding down into the tang hole. 

I also agree with you on the blacksmith knife. That one had its own set of challenges that I could expound upon.

Thank you for your honest critique, I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

I use a lot of templates for everything in the knife and handles are no exception. I’ll post a little tutorial on how to shape the handle. Would you like it here or elsewhere?

32 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Would you like it here or elsewhere?

Wherever you would like to put it sir. I look forward to it though. Thank you for taking the time to be so helpful.

Looking good...

• Thanks 1