Finished blacksmith knife (Pic heavy)

Well it just needs an edge, so not entirely finished. Apparently I figured the bevels all the way up the blade not at all intending that it would be a full flat ground blade.

Anyways that beside the point. Very old file steel, I think it’s W2 polished convex bevels, and a  very clean distal taper down the spine

Its going to be a laser once I sharpen it

Here are some pics of it. In another week the tulips will bloom and spring time will officially have reached my backyard :D in the sun all the little scratches that it’s already taken on are showing up. 

How about some critique? What do ya like/don’t like, what should I do differently next time? Definitely my best work so far, at least for a fourth knife. 

97253419-3A36-4BD2-870E-89FE104B459C.jpeg

9DC759A7-50D2-4DD3-949B-C6205ED75935.jpeg

FDF4A8D4-D824-455A-9B4A-6F3B6DD76F11.jpeg

329882F6-5022-467B-925E-1CE8B1E826A6.jpeg

FA59D9E9-B4C0-43CC-88AA-712B420C2031.jpeg

8834DC6C-C9AE-45D9-89D6-165C2B7A210E.jpeg

• Like 5

Hey Conner, I like the polished blade and how you sculpted the flats areas in the handle.

Now sharpen it and put it to use!! See how your work .... works:), carve, cut, slice, spear, the whole sha-bang!

enjoy it, 

Gary LT

Thank you sir :)  I just finished sharpening and stropping, the edge was very very thin before sharpening so this thing is like a laser. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Nice looking blade, Conner.  Good to see you didn't give up on the forging.

17 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

what should I do differently next time?

umm.....take pictures that show off the blade with less distractions...?  But I'm not sure that's what you were asking about...;)

Edited by billyO
1 hour ago, billyO said:

umm.....take pictures that show off the blade with less distractions...?  But I'm not sure that's what you were asking about...;)

I was thinking the same thing :)

You really did a nice job on this Conner.  I hope you take some time to compare it to where you were just a few months ago.  Then think about where you might be in a few months more.  Your persistence is quite remarkable.  I stopped making allowances for your age quite some time ago, but you really are an uncommon young man.

Thanks for the comments and advice! :) I’m still not sure how to take good pictures of knives, but I’ll work on it.

Good job, Conner.  I do like the way that you left the bar that you turned into the handle wider than most do and the shape of the handle is very regular.  Should feel great in the hand.  You did a great job on the blade too.

Doug+

Just saw this. Great going Conner. That's a fine piece of forging.

About those photos...…...and I stink at photography, but your pics reminded me that natural light is best. (I always seem to have a camera in my hand after sunset) and a simple background. Get a small block of wood or one of those little erasers from the drugstore to put under the blade and keep it flat. Make it small enough so it doesn't stick out from under the blade.

Now I've reminded myself how to take a decent picture, I might get some better ones of my work.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

About those photos...…...and I stink at photography...

You might want to think about keeping it simple at first.  What I did was start using plain towels for a background to get a feel for how your phone handles reflections off the metal and go from there.

17 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Thanks for the comments and advice! :) I’m still not sure how to take good pictures of knives, but I’ll work on it.

Great stuff Conner,

As for taking pictures....not sure what camera you have but wherever possible with natural light photos I avoid taking them in direct sunlight. I wait for an overcast day or set up in a shaded location. If you have a DLSR and a tripod I adjust my settings to manual and use self timer which allows for a slower shutter speed without camera shake. In any case I take a heap of pics from all angles and pick the best.

Yeah, I used to take my blades for a hike right before sunset. I dont think your photos are bad necessarily, but maybe you had a bit too much background in the foreground. 

Here are some samples of sunset pics. (As small as I could make em'). 20200409_073201.jpg20200409_072608.jpg