I built a new forge a while ago and wanna move my solid fuel forge inside so my wife can have her parking space in front of the garage back. Plus I wanna clean things up a bit to look a little less hillbilly. This is the hood I won on an online auction.ac90fa7bef13457cb07bec01896f1928.jpeg

Now I have to figure out the chimney flue. I have 10 inch cast iron pipe but nothing else. Would you guys use the heavy cast iron pipe or source something else? which could prove difficult during this stay at home order.

No I have been on the look out for some. I will check around. I have only left the property once in like 10 days. Maybe I can make it somewhere today. I need to get out but I dont wanna catch this thing:ph34r:!!!

4 feet above peak is good right?

Code is typically 3' above peak.  Check here for your area: https://codes.iccsafe.org/search/map.  However the penetration of the roof can also be difficult to do correctly.  You need to have either a set distance from any combustible materials or use a special zero clearance duct.  This is not really appropriate for our large forge vent stacks, as they run colder than most closed furnaces and fireplaces due to additional cold air induction at the hood, but is usually the way the code is interpreted.

Why follow code you ask?  Well if you don't your homeowner's insurance will likely balk at compensation in the event of any "incidents".

• Thanks 1

That's why my chimney is masonry.  12" square fireclay liners, 4" block and brick enclosed.  Meets code, and was far cheaper than double-wall stovepipe. 

• Thanks 1

Don't forget I've got more of that big 12" steel pipe. The one biggest piece I have is 7'10". I could help you load it up and we'd still be at least six feet apart. Social distancing loop hole, boom!!! Roasted!

• Haha 1