Prototype in-line fuller wheel

prototyped my new in-line fuller grinder with interchangeable wheels. Some kind of plastic hub, bearings, and plywood wheel. with a ripped down 80 grit J-flex belt, cut pretty nice 5/16 grooves in this piece of scrap steel. Now to make a few more plywood wheels with different radii

IMG_1009.JPG

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Iron John Logan said:

I think hard rubber wheels would make this a lot better.

Would it be possible to use some sort of epoxy or tape (or caulk?) around the rim to help make the plywood last longer?  

Edited by billyO

Very cool idea!  If you think there's a market for it, Sunray polyurethane can make a run with steel or aluminum hubs and polyurethane tires at whatever thickness and durometer you want, but I'm sure it wouldn't be very cheap.  https://www.sunray-inc.com/products/wheels/

They're the cheapest I know of.  For instance, an 8" contact wheel is $133, about a third what some places charge.

• 4 weeks later...

How hard is it to track that thing :O Have you tried roller-blade wheels? They come with the bearings and sometimes free rollerblade boots attached. 

Obviously the bearing speed would be much higher with a smaller diameter wheel. 

We've ordered some custom wheels from Sunday at work over the years.  They'll make very small quantities for about the same cost per wheel as their standard products.