2x72 Issue

Matt Behnke

Hi All,

I am sure you guys get a bunch of these threads, but here it goes. 

I made a new 2x72 grinder, after using my no weld grinder for a couple years. The tracking was off on it, and my fab skills weren't so great at the time that I made it. I decided that since I am a lot better at fabing stuff, considering thats what I do at work, I would make a new grinder. I was very careful when welding the new frame, checking every thing constantly with a level for square, tacking all corners, and welding everything clamped in a vise to eliminate warping out of alignment. The square tubing for the frame was 3/16 wall, and I removed the weld seam to make it is a snug fit to the tool arm. 

The issue I am having is that the belt doesn't seem to be running properly. I can get all wheels to align with one another, except the tracking and drive wheel. If I move the drive wheel to align with the tracking, everything else goes out of wack. But even with that misalignment, the grinder runs fairly well. The belt tracks good, however it seems to be running on a diagonal to the platen. The picture might be hard to see, but the belt runs in an almost twisted fashion on the flat platen. Any ideas what might be causing this? My guess was that the platen was twisted, but after cutting after removing and remounting, the issue remained. I tried shimming the lower idler out further to compensate, but had no luck. The wheels should be square with each other on the platen any ways.

In addition, after running the grinder with the slight misalignment issue, the bearing on the top idler seized. Given these were cheaper wheels from my previous grinder off ebay, I guess I can say I got my moneys worth.

So I know this is a mouthful, but what do you guys think. I am probably best off buying a new set of wheels at this point, which is going to cost me $100 for idlers and probably twice that for all four. At that cost, I am thinking maybe I would be best off buying a new grinder or frame altogether. I love making my own tooling, but I guess there is a time to say when. Is my alignment issue with the grinder a simple fix, or should I just consider a better grinder.

Thanks!

All the best

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

Try this, take some black electrical tape and run it around the drive wheel then the tracking wheel. About three times around. Then run a belt and check to see if it's running straight. If it does start tracking right, that means the wheel's radius is off a bit. This is a common problem with Grizzly grinders and by using the tape you can find out which wheel is messed up.

I believe the problem lies in this wheel. I think if you loosen the pillow block bearing closest to the wheel and push the wheel down and tighten it back up.

20200413_132612.jpg

8 hours ago, Brian Myers said:

Try this, take some black electrical tape and run it around the drive wheel then the tracking wheel. About three times around. Then run a belt and check to see if it's running straight. If it does start tracking right, that means the wheel's radius is off a bit. This is a common problem with Grizzly grinders and by using the tape you can find out which wheel is messed up.

Put the tape in the center of the wheels?

6 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I believe the problem lies in this wheel. I think if you loosen the pillow block bearing closest to the wheel and push the wheel down and tighten it back up.

20200413_132612.jpg

Ill have to give it a go, don't got anything to lose at this point. Thanks