I may have found a source for iron ore. I will take a magnet to the sand I brought home and see if its magnetic. 

Resized_20200412_175627.jpeg

Resized_20200412_175612.jpeg

Resized_20200412_175619.jpeg

yeah that should be magnetic! I recognize the look of it, that purplish sort of color. If its dry and ready for sorting, you can magnetically sift it and separate all the excess regular sand, and then once you have a final weight of black sand, add back about 10% regular sand by weight. It can make some nice steel depending on how pure the magnetite is! 

• Thanks 1

It is indeed magnetic. This is exciting stuff!!! I've been wanting to build a bloomery furnace.:D

I have seen a mini bloomery somewhere and a d find it anymore. Anyone have any recollection of where I can find it?

If you're thinking of the Aristotle furnace, it is in the Pinned section under "A different way to make steel," and it won't work on ore.  It has to have actual iron or steel as the feedstock.  Your best bet is to follow Lee Sauder's instructions for a 10" bore shaft furnace.  Magnetite can be a pain to smelt properly (thus Emiliano's sand suggestion), so give yourself the best chance at success right off the bat.  I've frozen more than one furnace with magnetite sand...:unsure:

How many pounds of ore do I need to start with?

40 to 50 lbs is good.  You'll need about 120-140 pounds of charcoal, and if it works at average efficiency and you're lucky, you may get a bloom of 15-20 lbs.  Or you may get a lot of slag...  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Broke quarantine tonight!!! 5 hr round trip for 400(?) Lbs of wet ironsand. I battled lake Michigan for this stuff. The closer to the lak the more concentrated the iron was.Resized_20200418_231340.jpegResized_20200418_231356.jpegResized_20200418_231349.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

There might be more like 600 lbs. A lot of it is water weight though. I'm goimg to lay out 5 or 10 gallons at a time on a tarp and let it dry little at a time. I have to try and get it out of the truck first though. 

Wow, that's gonna be fun.  

You're now making me want to move back to the Midwest and see what I can do to help you play...(well, this and your anvil posts.....:ph34r:)

• Like 1

Dont worry Jeremy, the steel industry is "essential".  You're just a really small scale steel mill!

1 hour ago, billyO said:

Wow, that's gonna be fun.  

You're now making me want to move back to the Midwest and see what I can do to help you play...(well, this and your anvil posts.....:ph34r:)

Depending on where in Oregon you are, you may have iron sand around.  

As a side note, once this is all over you might want to go back for another reason. I became enamored with old-style gold hunting a long time ago. Lake Michigan is renowned for having good gold-bearing quartz deposits. An age old miner's saying, if you've got black sand, you've got gold!! Run that stuff through a pan, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bit of gold dust in there!

Here is a comparison to the sand I brought home the first time and the sand I got last night. Oh yeah and my mother in law just told me of a source of black sand closer to home:). Panning for gold sounds like a lot of fun. :DResized_20200419_133621.jpegResized_20200419_124111.jpegResized_20200419_124244.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Brian Myers said:

As a side note, once this is all over you might want to go back for another reason. I became enamored with old-style gold hunting a long time ago. Lake Michigan is renowned for having good gold-bearing quartz deposits. An age old miner's saying, if you've got black sand, you've got gold!! Run that stuff through a pan, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bit of gold dust in there!

Hush, now, you'll have that boy down at Coker Creek if you're not careful!  ;)

That aside, he's right.  Magnetite and gold-bearing quartz often occur together, especially out west.  Just  one of those geology things.  Did you collect that sand with a magnet?  if not, a LOT of magnetic separation is in order.  Then pan the rest for gold...

• Like 1

Hush, now, you'll have that boy down at Coker Creek if you're not careful!

Lol. I don't think its fair that such a mountainous state has only two real areas to find gold, Coker and Tellico. But you have to admit, it would be cool if he could put gold accents on a knife made from ironsand that he pulled the gold out of!

• Like 1

Magnetic black sand is all over Arizona. I have 50 pounds of magnetically screen and sifted sand sitting in my storage container, and 160 pounds of pine/fir charcoal still waiting for me to build my smelting furnace. There are several AZ smiths who make steel from our sand here. Ray Rybar, Clayton Cowart, and Frank Christianson are three I know.

This is all exciting stuff!!!

My wife is helping me cut up wood for charcoal.  I snuck this shot of her with the axe. She would be pissed if she knew I shared it on an open forum:lol:

20200418_160849.jpg

Resized_20200420_175529.jpeg

Look what my wife found in this sand

Resized_20200503_154901.jpeg

20200503_155723.jpg

Well, I can't tell from the picture.............but if it was black sand, I'd say it might be gold...........or iron pyrite.

Give it a squish with a pair of pliers. If it crushes its pyrite, if it deforms its gold!!

A diamond? need better photo.

I'm pretty sure it's gold. It sets off a metal detector as precious metals. 

Did she take the ring off before you ran the detector over it? ;)