Mark Robson

Hey from the UK, first ever time lifting the hammer. I know it's the wrong steel but I just wanted to start basic. Went for a tanto shape and then hit the files. Work in progress hopefully better things to come 

post forging basic rough shape.jpg

tanto shape selected ground in.jpg

day 2 on the files.jpg

Edited by Mark Robson
Spelling
  • Like 1

I did a knife out of 1" dia. rebar.  It was a beast to form it into a blade but I got it done.  You're right, it's not the best steel to use but it sometimes produces something  usable.  I'll agree that it's a good start but are those lines running lengthwise along the blade cracks?

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

8 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

I did a knife out of 1" dia. rebar.  It was a beast to form it into a blade but I got it done.  You're right, it's not the best steel to use but it sometimes produces something  usable.  I'll agree that it's a good start but are those lines running lengthwise along the blade cracks?

Doug

Yeah it's a b**ch to move. The top line is a line I made with the file when I slipped.

The bottom, yup that's a crack, I'll see if it's just a surface one I can grind.

Not to rain on your parade but I just had a look at your pictures and I looks like you are using a cast iron anvil shaped object.  It seems like you have already dinged it up pretty well.  Try looking up Old World Anvils.  He sells 4X4X4" blocks of 4140 with a spike on one side for mounting in a stump.  He can also make these longer to give a little more mass.  You can also check on places like Ebay for steel cut-offs.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

7 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Not to rain on your parade but I just had a look at your pictures and I looks like you are using a cast iron anvil shaped object.  It seems like you have already dinged it up pretty well.  Try looking up Old World Anvils.  He sells 4X4X4" blocks of 4140 with a spike on one side for mounting in a stump.  He can also make these longer to give a little more mass.  You can also check on places like Ebay for steel cut-offs.

Doug

Thanks doug. Yes it did chew up a bit especially on the edges (that's what you get when you don't read labels). However, every mistake is learning and I now know cast iron is bad. Ill look for an alternative, I did always want a cool doorstop