What did you do in your lockdown today?

So, drawing inspiration from Joshua State’s long(est) running topic I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone is doing to keep busy during the lockdown.

Any antics anybody has got up to etc.? For example, last weekend my neighbours put up a tent in their back garden and camped in it for 2 nights.

I’ve not done anything as inspired yet (having stuck to gardening, fence repair, fixing the roof, general DIY and some smithing) but the time is coming where I may just need some ideas :).

9B3261F9-04D4-4167-81D7-A9B7E0B69496.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

was up about 4.30 this morning (not uncommon for me) so decided to do something productive and made some lunch rolls. 3 1/2 lb flour plus a half cups each of wheat and oat bran with 8 tables spoons of

I just finished cutting my own hair. No, I will not be posting a photo.

That's a huge job stripping paint off That is going to look brilliant once done.   I had to shift over to wood working projects, as much as I would like to hit some steel, its not reasonable

Posted Images

Made charcoal yesterday along with another viking hammer and a diamond peen hammer. Here is the viking and I will get pictures of the diamond peen.

Resized_20200417_203439.jpeg

Today is another day of making charcoal. I need to make a lot of it to smelt this ironsand I found.

• Like 2

I just finished cutting my own hair.

No, I will not be posting a photo.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Haha 4

working on the 40 year old sail boat, mowing the lawn, polishing and making shirasaya for a Japanese spear....the usual.

• Like 1

I bought a cheap "starcaster" strat on Monday for my nephew (whose shown interest in guitar) to learn on. Cost me $50 and it was in pretty rough condition, so I gave him the choice "we can just get it going, or we can fix it up a little". So, he wanted to get the dents out, I decided it needed a new tremello, and he's wanting to paint it 50's fender sonic blue himself (a very mature color choice for a 12 year old). So I just got it all sanded down for him, and repaired a crack by cutting down it with a saw blade and filling it with epoxy (taped off the bottom and side).20200418_165300.jpg.

Should be pretty fun for him to paint and assemble. I might teach him how to solder the pickups and jack back in. I think he's gonna appreciate it more than he would a store bought $1000 American stratocaster. 

Happy corn-teen ya'll!

A bit more progress with the 1/8 inch micarta spacer epoxied to the butt pad.

IMG_20200419_105201.jpg

Thumb notch and bolt release cut in and for this it is easier/quicker to just use a couple of soft faced clamp to tighten the action into the wood for trials as I get the recesses down to the right level. There is a lot of file a bit and check to get this right with just the few thou clearance under the bolt release.

IMG_20200419_114739.jpg

Next was some shaping to the forestock and I start by marking in the major plan lines with a specially tapered board I keep for this purpose. I always like to have a very slim fore stock as it sits down into the hand better and is an aid in aiming with it sitting like this which allows for more accurate "pointing" before you get onto the sights.

IMG_20200419_105433.jpg

IMG_20200419_143234.jpg

Next was to get the bolt handle notch sorted and the loading port filed in.

IMG_20200419_154843.jpg

I finished the day by getting the steel grip cap epoxied into place. It is not fixed permanently as I use vaseline as release agent and fill the hollow in the back of the cap with epoxy, drill a few shallow holes into the wood round the inside of where the cap will sit and screw it into place. This way when I am doing the shaping take the cap off to get the rough shape done and only replace the cap for the final fine sanding and polish the edges of the cap at the same time. I know it will always go back the same way with a punch mark on the undersside of the cap denotes the front.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1

Well, I'm posting non-shop related stuff here. I thought that was the point......maybe I'm delusional

I did plant a garden this year and it is doing pretty well right now.

I Plant my lettuce pretty tight and let it grow in bunches up to a point before thinning them out.

Romaine.jpg 

Today I picked some spinach leaves and a few of those baby romaine heads. Got a base for a nice big salad. Then I grabbed 4 plump radishes and topped it off.

Pretty soon there will be peppers, beans and tomatoes to add in.

Salad.jpg

• Like 2

Picked up two truckloads of manure yesterday to fill our garden (finally). We built the frame last year; 16 x 16 raised bed, but by the time it was done it was too late to plant much and we didn't have the fill yet. We still need another 3.5-4 cubic yards, but that'll be next weekend. Today we plan on planting our four new fruit trees. Overall, not a bad way to spend our spare time.

• Like 1

Did the first significant work on the Cayman.  Needed a rear brake job, and an oil change.  It's kind of weird crawling all the way to the middle of the car to get to the oil drain pan.  Had to put the car up on 4 jack-stands, so it looked like a turtle that had been picked up with it's legs hanging out of its shell.

IMG_20200418_103945939_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200411_144109405.jpg

I'm also into carnivorous plants.  I keep some Nepenthes in my office at work, but haven't had any Venus Flytraps since about 2006.  Recent isolation prompted me to dig into them again, and it's surprising how much the general thoughts on care for them has changed since then.  I decided to order a few and see how they do on my patio in the nice seasons, adn then to winter them on my closed in porch.  The red plant is a Drosera (sundew) which is also new to me.

IMG_20200411_125343532_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

spent a little quality time with my little giant doing a san mi blacksmith knife from unknown damascusish steel i got in a blade from a flea market 14 years ago sold as lief spring knife kinda just wana see what happens :rolleyes:

20200420_111654.jpg

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2020 at 3:31 AM, Joshua States said:

Well, I'm posting non-shop related stuff here. I thought that was the point......maybe I'm delusional

Spot on.

I rescued this dressing table ages ago with a view to restoring it. It was painted white with cheap paint and a scuffed area showed nice grain in the wood. Finally had the time to start on it and spent the last few days sanding and repairing it. Alas, it’s veneer and extremely thin veneer at that. I’m about to start repainting it and will then probably give it to a charity shop (when they reopen).

A37029FA-7C3D-496A-81F7-AE18F7764BBC.jpeg

Edited by Charles dP
  • Like 3

That's a huge job stripping paint off That is going to look brilliant once done.

I had to shift over to wood working projects, as much as I would like to hit some steel, its not reasonable to spend on the fuel right now as like many people I've been out of work since this started.  Unfortunately, the outlook to returning to my old job is quite grim at the moment.

I had a table sitting around for a while that had really nice spindles on it, but a ruined top. So I remade the top (a red maple) striped the spindles, and married them together.

20200113_130523.jpg

For anyone how is interested, I used the non toxic citrus stripper - and I had better results with it than with the harsher stuff.  It stays gummy for a much longer time allowing for more work time with it.  And the best thing, is it's non toxic, you can work with it in an enclosed space without getting weird.

20200206_152148.jpg

I usually do not strip all the old stain off, sometimes its practically impossible, I like some of the old antique look that the old stain leaves behind.  In this case I got a stain that matched up and blended pretty well.  In the end, this is all tung oil for the finish with a top coat of a wax, (Bruce's floor wax).  It's Nampha based, but is the stuff used on my hard wood floors, really nice stuff.  It resists fading or darkening over time, and does not crack up like a varnish would over time.  I tired it as an experiment here just to see what it would do.

20200401_111014.jpg

Edited by Daniel W
  • Like 3

Nice work Daniel.  That new top blends in quite well.  I don't strip much furniture anymore, but that citri-strip is much better than the old stuff.

Worked on my Master's in Education!  I'm in a teaching reading class, and a big part of our grade was to go into a classroom and read to a group of students. Then the apocalypse wanna-be showed up lol. Luckily it turned out ok. My instructor at MTSU worked with the teachers at Middle Tennessee Christian and got us face time with kids over Zoom! So I got to read to the little buggers today.

• Like 1
On 4/21/2020 at 12:52 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice work Daniel.  That new top blends in quite well.  I don't strip much furniture anymore, but that citri-strip is much better than the old stuff.

I've used the stripe-ease and brush cleaners before, harsh, and just don't like them as much.  Especially since the cirri-strips is just a few bucks in comparison. The table top was a piece of rough cut from a family farm harvested about 50 years ago, I've got a few more planks but I made something interesting with what was left of the first board.

With the left overs from the table top, I just finished up a set of sliding book ends. 

20200421_145355.jpg

• Like 2

was up about 4.30 this morning (not uncommon for me) so decided to do something productive and made some lunch rolls. 3 1/2 lb flour plus a half cups each of wheat and oat bran with 8 tables spoons of milk powder. A big serving spoon of blackstrap molasses and  another of malt to activate the 4 teaspoons of yeast in 24 oz of warm water, and when it is ready add 8 table spoons of  best olive oil to the mix. When they were all under control I got a pot of soup  on. I had cooked down 4 sheep shanks yesterday as a base so it was adding the rest this morning and have it simmering away and when done will make about 15 liters so will get it into containers for the freezer. Makes a nice easy evening meal for Sabbath day so Lyne dose not have to cook.

IMG_20200426_110340.jpgIMG_20200426_110430.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 4

Yummmmmmmm, looks good.  Start the coffee and I'll be right over! :D

• Haha 1

I've been working on a highland dirk for the past couple of weeks of lockdown. 13" blade of antique wrought iron with silver steel edge and spine, steel fittings with copper trim, and a maple handle which I've started carving:

wrought core 32.jpg

wrought core 33.jpg

wrought core 29.jpg

today I also started a kitchen knife commission and a wee puukko, and I'm meant to be finishing a dudgeon dagger, but it's stressing me out...

• Like 3

We recently bought a new(ish) travel/camper trailer and are planning a Memorial Day trip to our place in New Mexico. So today was the day to rummage through the storage container and pull out the camp gear to load the trailer with.

R-POD V2.jpg

Posted (edited)

I got my chainsaw out of the repair shop yesterday and today I tackled this beast that the wife has been wanting removed for a few weeks now.

Tree cutting (1) V2.jpg

15 minutes later.

Tree cutting (2) V2.jpg

Edited by Joshua States