Last Knives Before Dental School

I am about to finish up a master's degree in physiology, after which I will be moving to start dental school. Because of this I won't have space for a workshop and likely won't have the time for knife making, so I decided to work hard to finish these up before the move. A kitchen set for my parents. All triple-quenched high-carbon damascus, mokume bolsters, and snakewood handles. Hope you enjoy.

IMG_8118[4210].jpg

IMG_8122[4212].jpg

IMG_8123[4214].jpg

IMG_8124[4216].jpg

IMG_8128[4218].jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Alex Middleton said:

Gorgeous!

Yeah!

1 hour ago, Worth Baker said:

A kitchen set for my parents

I hope they don't have a heart attack when you give it to them.

• Like 1

Sad loss to the knifemaking fraternity if you are not able to continue making knives of that quality but hope it is a forshortened hiatus

• Like 1
On 4/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I bet some gold/silver mokume would make a nifty crown, and all the dentists I know got really good at wax casting in school...

Nice set!

Couldn't use silver because of the oxidation, but maybe platinum and gold? Hahah Unfortunately very few schools teach wax casting anymore, it seems to be assumed that that work will get outsourced to dental labs. Luckily my dad payed his way through dental school casting jewelry and taught me wax casting as well.

• Like 1

Dental school will occupy much of your time, but at the very least follow the forums and draw your ideas.  I retired from a career in hospital special needs dentistry eight years ago and my hobbies gave me "mini vacations" from my stressful work and surgeries.  Your work shows me you have good hands and will bring your eye hand skill to your work in school and career.  Stay in touch with the craftsmen here we all wish you the best.

Edited by John Myshkoff
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, John Myshkoff said:

Dental school will occupy much of your time, but at the very least follow the forums and draw your ideas.  I retired from a career in hospital special needs dentistry eight years ago and my hobbies gave me "mini vacations" from my stressful work and surgeries.  Your work shows me you have good hands and will bring your eye hand skill to your work in school and career.  Stay in touch with the craftsmen here we all wish you the best.

Thanks very much, this is definitely a hobby that I don't intend to drop. I look forward to a day when I am past or at least far enough through paying off all the student loans that I will be able to reinvest in knife making and buy the equipment that could let me do much more interesting things.

• 2 weeks later...