Finally giving a blade a go...

Been at it for a bit, other than a hiatus of a few months now because life gets busy.  Practiced on some mild steel the same size and dimensions as the 1080 that I ordered.

They may be the same size, but they certainly hammer differently.   Dimensions for start are 6 inches long, 1/8 x 1 1/4 wide.   Takes some work, but i am pretty pleased with the first attempt at knife steel.

Top two knives were the mild steel 'practice' blade forms.   The bottom is the knife steel.  got a LOT of hand filing and hand sanding to do, but I avoided cold shuts and inclusions.

Thanks to you guys I was aware of what to watch out for.  Next step will be to get ready for the quench (after I hammer out the other three blades.)  

Critique, comments and advice most welcome!!

20200418_182439.jpg

20200418_192909.jpg

Great start! Be very careful with the join between tang and blade. File out the transition to a nice round and get rid of that "barb". Don't want your first blade to go PING because of a stress riser. Got an idea about the handle material??

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Brian Myers said:

Great start! Be very careful with the join between tang and blade. File out the transition to a nice round and get rid of that "barb". Don't want your first blade to go PING because of a stress riser. Got an idea about the handle material??

A friend gave me a bunch of white oak, so I am thinking that will make really good looking and strong handles.