Tire Hammer Purchase

Ryan Bernard

So I’m thinking about Purchasing a Tire Hammer 

looking at options if anyone knows any makers out there ?

Im Located in NY so minimizing shipping costs if I can. Also has anyone tried mounting heavy duty casters on a tire hammer for maneuvering easily ?

i need to be able to move it around some what easily from inside my garage to outside on to the blacktop when working and was seeing if anyone had any experience doing it like this or if it’s even viable.

Fiery furnace forge builds tire hammers. I met him at quad state last year and before that I bought a bunch of tongs from him. I cant remember his name for the life of me though. But he takes pre orders and waits till he has 12 orders then does an assembly line putting them together. I also seen one of his hammers run at a hammer making class I took.

As far as casters the 2 hammers i have would blow casters apart. Alec steele set up a 25 lb little giant on large beams so it was somewhat mobile but it did a lot of rocking. I would say try it and see if it works. Worse comes to worse you have to find a permanent location?

https://www.google.com/search?q=fieryfurnaceforge&oq=fieryfurnaceforge&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.2460j0j4&client=ms-android-sprint-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Yes I have seen one in action. The person using it was Dan Moss the YouTube Smith. He used it to round up the faces of our hammers at a hammer making class I attended. And yes it worked well.

Well-built tire hammers are easily as good as a Little Giant.  But, casters are a bad idea on any hammer, no axle can take that kind of load for long.  If my hammer were required to be semi-portable, I'd make a wooden base with cutouts on the bottom to use a pallet jack.  That way it's solid when it's not on the jack.  Plus my hammer, weighing in at around 900 lbs, is considered portable for blacksmithing purposes.  If it doesn't require a separate pit foundation, it's portable!

On 4/22/2020 at 3:52 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I'd make a wooden base with cutouts on the bottom to use a pallet jack.

That is what I did with my Anjang 33 and it works extremely well.

I've seen Dave Custer's equipment at Quad State as well and would agree it is high quality manufacture and one of the better versions of the design.  Not quiet though, hope you haven't got close neighbors.

• 7 months later...

I am currently building my tire hammer. Its a ray clontz one.  The plans are available online for $30.  I'm expecting about $1500 for the build. 50# hammer. Very close to a 2'x2' footprint saves me soooo much space in my small garage.

I would probably charge 500-750 to build one for someone else. Just fyi.