Seeking Experienced Smith for opinion

Hello Everyone. 

I would like an experienced opinion on what is wrong with this blade. I recently purchased a large Damascus steel knife, but upon receiving the knife I noticed it had a cavity on the edge of the blade. The seller insists that this is normal and was intended by the blade smith. He says it is an "intentional groove". Why would anyone put a groove into the edge of a blade?? I feel like it is a mistake ,most likely from the forging of the damascus, and the seller should admit it as such. Why would anyone put a groove into the edge of a blade??

Thank you for your input.

BladePictureZoomed.jpgBladePictureZoomed2.jpgBlade Crack Depth.JPGKnife 1.jpgBladePicture.JPG

Edited by nick mc
change of wording

Wow...just wow. How any seller could have the huevos to tell you that is amazing. Like Joel said, that is a severe blade fault that no self-respecting smith would allow past their workbench. I would attempt to get my money back. I'm betting if you took the knife apart you'd find some marking like made in Pakistan. The guard doesn't look like it was completely finished along the finger well, along with a poor fit-up between blade and guard with a huge gap.

Nick, it's sellers like that who ruin the knife business for those of us who spend far more time and effort in our blades than we can charge for!  I'd demand a refund...........not a replacement but a refund.  Can't believe a smith would even allow such a blade to leave the shop...................I don't car WHAT country it came from.

Thank you everyone for all the feedback.

I purchased the knife off of Etsy ( I don't know if I should disclose the sellers name and store). I was really surprised when he told me that it was an "intentional groove"  I quote "Also, I have checked with the blade smith on your claims of a crack, it is not a crack according to him it is a groove that is intentional" . 

It is one thing to overlook a defective product, but to make up claims that such a flaw and defect is intentional.... I may not know everything about forging a blade but I know that a knife should not have a cavity on the edge. If I can put another knife or screwdriver into the edge and pry the steel apart, there is a major problem. I thought I would just check with some other experienced blade smiths to make sure I wasn't overlooking some detail of the manufacturing  process. 

I have always been a collector and aficionado of knives, swords, axes, any blade really; now I am interested in learning how to create a blade. I know it won't be easy , but it seems like a very satisfying craft to learn and experience. Good thing there are forums like this to help novices get started.

Thanks again

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that looks like paki-mascus...the hole in the middle is delamination from not being properly forge welded

in essence you bought bad product...made in a foreign country...imported cheaply and not meant as a real cutting implement...

38 minutes ago, nick mc said:

I purchased the knife off of Etsy

You should ask for a refund and if he refuses, file a claim against him with Etsy.  In your complaint, reference this topic.  You should post a review on his Etsy page, if he's on any social media, also post there.   If you want to get really nasty with the internet, find out if he's a member of any blacksmith/bladesmith groups and send them photos of the blade.

38 minutes ago, nick mc said:

( I don't know if I should disclose the sellers name and store)

Sure, why not?  Etsy is public, everything sold there is open to public view and review. 

BTW, I sell on Etsy, and I don't think you'll have any trouble getting Etsy to take action against this seller.

16 minutes ago, Gerald Boggs said:

You should ask for a refund and if he refuses, file a claim against him with Etsy.  In your complaint, reference this topic.  You should post a review on his Etsy page, if he's on any social media, also post there.   If you want to get really nasty with the internet, find out if he's a member of any blacksmith/bladesmith groups and send them photos of the blade.

Ditto on this. While there are great sellers out there, this person is a sham. He is probably importing these knives for a few bucks apiece and doing a 500% markup or something. You'd be protecting other buyers like yourself that could get suckered in by this seller.

My brother bought a blade from etsy when he was drunk one night. He finally got it and just pulling it from the package the handle came off. It was described as a antler handle chopping blade. Some seller out of Italy. I will get a picture in a bit. Needless to say in the end he came to me to try and fix it. :unsure: now were making a new blade from canister Damascus!!!B)

• Haha 1

Would this be a good time to recommend one only buy on-line from those that accept returns.  And always google the seller to make sure they really exist.