Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

An engraved invitation down another rabbit hole

Recommended Posts

Darn it!  After going back and reading @tsterling tutorial on engraving several times over the last couple of years, I took the plunge and bought some toys.

 

IMG_20200420_174221348.jpg

 

I couldn't see paying $50 for the graver holder, so I made that, but the rest is pretty much off of Tom's recommended list.

 

I sharpened my first graver last night, and that one experience was probably worth the cost of the sharpening jigs.  I get lost when looking at all the different graver facets on-line, but now that I have been through the process of grinding one from scratch, I get it.

 

I tried cutting a few random lines in some scrap, and very quickly understood the need for a vise of some sort.  I can't see myself spending $600 on a good domestic ball vise, and don't feel like supporting the import market these days.  I'll probably try to cobble together some sort of pitch bowl.  I'll have to see if the farm store tire shop is still willing to give me their old wheel weights.

 

I'm not sure what in the world I am thinking.  I can't even draw worth a hoot.  The bottom of this pool is way out of my reach...

 

@Jeremy Blohm  - I'm ready for the viking hammer head :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

  - I'm ready for the viking hammer head :)

I need to get yours and @Zeb Camper 's hammers in the mail. 

Maybe I can get to the post office before they close. I just dont have any ash cut up for handles.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not drawing if you trace. ;)  That's the engraver's dirty little secret.  We apply some white watercolor to the steel, lay some carbon paper on it, and trace our printed design we've scaled from the computer.  

As much as I'd love a ball vise and pitch bowl, I just use my bench vise and walk around it.  Well, halfway around it.  Then I engrave backwards to where I started.  A Lindsey AirGraver would rock, too.  I'm just using hand gravers and a chasing hammer.  But I do okay.

 

London hawk right.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I need to get yours and @Zeb Camper 's hammers in the mail. 

Maybe I can get to the post office before they close. I just dont have any ash cut up for handles.

No rush.  I'm not too worried abut the handles though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how is the airgraver different than what I would normally use....(ie....dremel tool and bits)????

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Darn it!  After going back and reading @tsterling tutorial on engraving several times over the last couple of years, I took the plunge and bought some toys.

 

IMG_20200420_174221348.jpg

 

I couldn't see paying $50 for the graver holder, so I made that, but the rest is pretty much off of Tom's recommended list.

 

I sharpened my first graver last night, and that one experience was probably worth the cost of the sharpening jigs.  I get lost when looking at all the different graver facets on-line, but now that I have been through the process of grinding one from scratch, I get it.

 

I tried cutting a few random lines in some scrap, and very quickly understood the need for a vise of some sort.  I can't see myself spending $600 on a good domestic ball vise, and don't feel like supporting the import market these days.  I'll probably try to cobble together some sort of pitch bowl.  I'll have to see if the farm store tire shop is still willing to give me their old wheel weights.

 

I'm not sure what in the world I am thinking.  I can't even draw worth a hoot.  The bottom of this pool is way out of my reach...

 

@Jeremy Blohm  - I'm ready for the viking hammer head :)

 

You could try something like this.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-in-Square-Lazy-Susan-Turntable-with-400-lb-Load-Rating-49548/203661089

 

DSC00384.JPG

pitchbowl.jpg

Edited by DanM
added link
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JeffM said:

how is the airgraver different than what I would normally use....(ie....dremel tool and bits)????

 

 

An air graver is like a miniature Jack hammer that uses gravers as the bit.  It replaces tapping on the back of the graver with a hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JeffM said:

how is the airgraver different than what I would normally use....(ie....dremel tool and bits)????

 

 

An airgraver is a tiny pneumatic jackhammer thing, like a tattoo gun.  It works exactly like hand engraving, using a single-point graver (or a multi line liner) and driving it with a zillion tiny taps per second when activated.  And it activates by pressure, which means you hold it exactly like a push graver, and it does nothing until you put the point on the metal and press like you are starting the cut, at which point it gives you a power assist.  

Dremels and Foredoms are rotary tools that cut with multi-fluted burrs.  You can get a hammer handpiece for the Foredoms and attempt engraving, but those are better for stone setting.  

 

Dan, I like that idea and may well steal it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DanM I like the lazy Susan bearing.  What are you holding your pitch in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh, the Toastcutter challenge!  That was an awesome thread! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Darn it!  After going back and reading @tsterling tutorial on engraving several times over the last couple of years, I took the plunge and bought some toys.


Sorry, Brian. It’s a disease, and now you’re infectious. But staying at home won’t help...if you hadn’t noticed, you caught it over the internet. It consumes your brain and your cash. There is no safe place, so embrace your inner zombie and enjoy!

 

Tom

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tsterling said:

It’s a disease, and now you’re infectious.

Where's that thread???...

 

Uh-oh....it might be spreading and I might now be a carrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A really cheap way to get away with an engraving vise, go to tj maxx, go to their cooking section, find one of their big stainless bowls for cheap.  Take it home, fill it with concrete, then if you have a vise for a drill press, rig up a way to mount it on top. For a base, I stack up two 3/4 sheets of ply wood, with a circle cut out smaller than the bowl so it can pivot. 

 

That was my plan before I got an vise that was a hand me down, then I hadn't messed with engraving since. With doing pneumatic engrave something like that will work fine, I mess with 'struck' engraving so I find I have to work around a fixed vise like Alan. 

 

Engraving angles can be messed with a bit, as long as the bevel is consistent. What I found most important is that relief cut that touches the work.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billyO said:

Where's that thread???...

 

Uh-oh....it might be spreading and I might now be a carrier.

 

It's too late for me. I don't even use templates anymore, I'm so hardcore I freehand sharpen... :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...