Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

Thinking about a sword

I have a nice chunk of welded and stacked cable and I'm thinking I have enough for a sword.  I'm considering something like this

sword.png

Here is a nice one by some guy named Loose  :D

36f81340e080a954c383cefa4a823543.jpg

Of the modern ones I've seen, most of those have fullers, but what about the originals.  The one article I can find suggests that fullers were rare in swords of this type  (Wheeler Type VII).  Does anyone know which is right, or is it a matter for the maker to choose?

Geoff

There's a few of these in "Swords of the Viking Age" by Ian Pierce.  Some have multiple narrow fullers, some have one broad fuller.  And I've actually handled that Loose guy's version you show there.  Pretty nifty object!

So I've got the blank forged.  The cable came from Mike Bell after a class I did there a couple of years ago.  I didn't have quite as much as I remembered.  I've got a good profile, but I'm shy on both length and width.  28" to the shoulders (so probably 27" when all is said and done) and about 2" at the widest with a nice taper to the tip.  So it would be be a bit smaller than JAL's version.  Still worth doing?

Geoff

Absolutely!  

Are those "medallions" on the JAL blade and scabbard shown in the sample photo actually slices of pattern welded billets (powder mosaic)?  If so, wow, just wow.  If not, are they electro or chemically etched?

Those plaques are niello in sterling silver.  Hand engraved, then backfilled with niello (silver lead sulfide) and scraped level.  Dude's good!  B)

13 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Dude's good! 

Actually, he's bloody awesome!