UNKNOWN TANG KNOTCH

Maurovillegas

I PURCHASED THE SWORD IN A GARAGE SALE 

AND THOUGH NOTHING OF IT UNTIL I REMOVED HANDLE,  THE TANG LOOKS NORMAL EXCEPT FOR A KNOTCH AT END.

I BEEN SEARCHING FOR AN ANSWER TO WHETHER IS AN OLD MAKER OR A NEW DESIGN . I HAVE NOT FOUND A SINGLE SWORD WITH THIS KNOTCH.  HOPEFULLY SOMEONE KNOWS AND SOLVES THE MYSTERY. 

20200422_115636.jpg

20200422_115054.jpg

20200422_115149.jpg

20200422_115452.jpg

20200422_115521.jpg

20200422_120725.jpg

20200422_115701.jpg

20200422_120111.jpg

20200422_144747.jpg

Edited by Maurovillegas
More pictures

There's no telling why it would be made that way. I'm no expert in Japanese blades, but looking at the hamon, it's almost too perfect. No differential lines in it showing the transition from spine to edge. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that this sword was made in some factory. That blank may have started out as something bound for a rat tail tang to be welded on, but they switched gears and stamped out a katana instead. I'll let the more knowledgeable here take it from here.

I am no expert on Japanese swords, but yes, it does not look "right" to me.  The whole nakago (tang) geometry is way off, and the hamon is a little too regular, although that could just be a bad polish job.  Ask Steve Shimanek here on the forum, he's petty knowledgeable on these things.  I suspect a recent replica not made in Japan, myself.  Like, maybe a "Highlander" katana that someone rehilted to look more traditional?  

I'm thinking BudK maybe? Not that they don't have some nice stuff you understand. Their pocket knives are solid and dependable, I carry one everywhere and it keeps a whisper sharp edge. But there is some cheap replica stuff on there.