Sign in to follow this  
Einar

Messer/Falchion hybrid

I finally finished my grosse messer. I guess this is more of a messer/falchion hybrid. I've had this blade laying around for a few years now, and finally finished it. When deciding on the type of hilt to put on it, I was inspired by Peter Johnsons "Mess of a saber" post from a while back, which is one of the nicest messers I've seen. Mine is... well... not as nice, but I am still quite happy with it. 

106 cm/ 42 inches total lenght

76 cm/ 30 inches Blade length

1150 grams/2.5 lbs

Point of balance is 11 cm/4.3 inches from the guard

6.4 mm thick at the base of the blade, distal tapering to 2.5 mm at the widest point of the clip.

Hardness is about 55 Rockwell.

Made from spring steel with a mild steel guard and butt cap. The grip is oak with a textured leather wrap. It's been a few years since I made this blade, actually. its from before I had a belt grinder, so the whole thing is ground with an angle grinder and files. But I finally finished making the hilt assembly today. Better late than never. Lots of mistakes on this one, the most glaring being that I managed to mess up the risers on the grip when I wrapped the leather with chord to texture it.

IMG_20200423_200640.jpg

IMG_20200423_200651.jpg

IMG_20200423_200747.jpg

• Like 3

Nice looking job on that one.  It does look like a hybrid between a falchion and a messer but it does work.

Doug

1 hour ago, Doug Lester said:

Nice looking job on that one.  It does look like a hybrid between a falchion and a messer but it does work.

Doug

Thanks, Doug!

I like it. The handle wrap is a good touch, if not traditional. 

Though not common, Messers very much like this certainly existed (even without Nagels or side rings). Great work! It looks and sounds like a beautiful hand-and-a-half sword.

11 hours ago, Kevin Colwell said:

I like it. The handle wrap is a good touch, if not traditional. 

Thanks! Yeah, I just prefer a wrapped handle instead of bare wood, unless it's a really nice burl or something. 

2 minutes ago, AJ Chalifoux said:

Though not common, Messers very much like this certainly existed (even without Nagels or side rings). Great work! It looks and sounds like a beautiful hand-and-a-half sword.

Thank you, I was hoping that it wasnt too far out of the realm of realism. 

I like it.  B)

On 4/24/2020 at 2:11 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I like it.  B)

On 4/24/2020 at 4:15 PM, Bjorn Gylfason said:

It's single edged so I automaticly like it and it has really nice proportions too

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it!