Breaking in the new 2x72 first knife on the grinder

wow why didn't I have one of these belt grinders years ago.  I finally have something I think is worthy of the craftsmanship here patternwelded blade 15n20 and 1084 about 150 layers. I'm not sure what kind of wood considering it was free and came from a chunk of flooring but the grain is beautiful.

Anyway I'd love to hear some feedback on what you would do different. Its far from perfect but I think it came out well.

20200425_132544.jpg

20200425_132553.jpg

20200425_132624.jpg

• Like 1

That's a nice looking blade, Will.  Damascus is fun, isn't it?  Good job on the etch. 

17 hours ago, Will Urban said:

what you would do different.

Is it an outdoors chopper for in the kitchen?  If for the outdoors, I'd include a hole for a lanyard in the the next one.

It also looks like you might have gotten the pins a bit hot while shaping the handle (the dark rings around the pins make me think the wood burned a little) so slowing down the belt and/or dunking in water to cool a bit more often should help.

Overall though, a nice looking blade. 

No in reality it started the proper thickness for a chopper and I usually shape the handles to a preform drawing  which made the previous way of doing things much easier. That said I got a little lets say overenthusiastic at lower grits. Overall I'm happy with how it came out and I definitely recognize a lot of things that I did to try to fix mistakes along the way. I definitely was grinding to slow initially on the handles after they were glued up. I wasn't as confident as I should have been ripping through the final shape at higher speeds. And I probably also left the pins a little too proud of the wood. That said I thought about reshaping the handle as there was plenty of meat left on it but I thought it would be good practice regardless. 

Thanks for the comments. I definitely learned a ton on this mostly about how not to do things with a belt grinder

you are going to love/hate the grinder. You can screw things up fast with a good grinder.

I hope you have variable speed. That extra control is really worth the money. It just makes it like an extension of your mind after you get enough practice.

Nice knife.  Learn from the mistakes and move forward. It is what we all do. 

I've noticed that quickly there are some things that I've noticed came pretty easy like shaping long areas quickly with a large contact wheel pushing into the wheel.. and also using a slack belt setup for contours and such.. but keeping grinds even on a flat platen are not. 

I ended up getting a 2 hp lesson inverter rated motor and a kbac 27d vfd however since i run 110 to the shop instead of 220 the 2 hp is only generating 1.5 hp. 

Thanks. I definitely learned from this one in very excited to move onto the next which ironically is a going to be a big step up I have a single edge 900ad Norse blade I'm just waiting on heat treat to really get into.

Knife Looks good Will and nice pattern on that steel. Keep making and you will keep improving it is a continuous learning curve. I have also just got a 2”x 72” and also agree that I could have done with it years ago too. Look forward to seeing your next one.

8 hours ago, Will Urban said:

Rob

Thanks its a huge step up from files and hand sanding. Although had I not learned drawfiling years ago I never would have made it this far.

Thanks

Hi Will,

when I taught my son to shoot I started him with a single shot .22 with iron sights. Only once he was proficient in safe handling and could consistently hit his target did I let him use a scope.

Now I am starting to teach him bladesmithing and like the Iron sights he will learn to draw file and hand sand before he gets to ever grind..  It is great to have these tools which help us along but I still sit in wonder at the work our forefathers  were able to do before any electric tool or gas forge was ever thought of.

look forward to seeing more of your work.

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 1