New bayonet

Zeb Camper

Hi all! 

I was given a bayonet by my boss's parents. I believe its british. 1888 I think. Doesn't look like a 1903. What do you think? And how much do you think it's worth? 

I've got a 1915 or 18 (last digit is shallow) Lee Enfield, but unfortunately it's been sporterized a long time ago. Unfortunately my grandfather knew a guy who sporterized old guns.  I'd love to have it looking the way it used to. I doubt this bayonet would fit it though. 20200425_222452.jpg

Sorry the room is so cluttered I've got more hobbies than living space. 

Are there any markings on it?

• Like 1

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Definitely a Lee-Metford 1888 bayonet. The SMLE bayonet was single-edged and fullered.

• Like 1

Hi Zeb,

I believe it is worth one pattern welded modern hunting knife or bowie knife from me. Between 4 and 8" blade, wood handle, nice aqua fortis staining on curly maple handle. :)

I like it. I am not sure what they are worth. Alan may know more. I would only add that, if I were you, I would keep it as-is. You know this, but maybe someone reading this will not know this, so DON'T POLISH ORIGINAL METAL ITEMS, THE RUST AND PATINA IS IMPORTANT IN DATING AND VALUE. 

I had to say it.

thanks for sharing the pics with us. I just love this sort of stuff.

I need to get a Fairbairn-Sykes. I really do. Plus, the early gerber, (Mark I?). 

on and on I ramble. Nice score. 

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I saw some on Ebay, for what that's worth.  In the $60-$100 range

g

Edited by Geoff Keyes
  • Thanks 1

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver