Unusual single edged sword

Hi!

So, I stumbled upon one interesting weapon in small village museum. Location is Baltic region, Lithuania, Leipalingis village. Sword was found not far from big barrow burial place in the lake. It is in a quite good condition, but there is almost no reaserch. Dated very roughly 9-11 century. But since it was found in lake, there is no proof.

There is many single edged sword in this region, but they are usually very straight edged and often wider to the end, so this is okay. But curved edge is uncommon and it is not very likely for it to be sharpened so much. I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but I think cross-section is T shaped.

And I have no comments about guard and part of scabbard. I would guess it is dated very wrongly. Spoke with archeologysts, but they can't tell anything useful.

Have anyone seen similar blades? What are your thoughts? I need more information to better understand how to make a handle.

Thank you in advance!

received_428853844375954.jpeg

received_618009105392710.jpeg

received_1783641498448920.jpeg

received_902196840117878.jpeg

Wow. What a nice piece. I assume that is the guard in the second photo, and the piece with the two rings is likely a scabbard throat fitting? It is difficult to tell if the wide part of the blade would fit through it. What ever it is, it looks like it is shaped wider at one end than the other. Evidently it did not have a pommel, or the pommel was not found. It may not be Baltic in origin. It could have been brought there from another region and lost.

I am very interested in what the Hive has to say.

Yes, flat piece is guard and other is scabbord part. Archeologyst said it was found in wooden scabbord and no other parts. Maybe something lost.

End of tang looks like riveted, so I guess there should be something more.

My guess is also that it could be import. Although person working in museum said that one archeologyst noticed, that there is somehow similar sword in barrow buriel. Can't find documents from there to confirm, will have to contact polish archeologyst, they were first to excavate.

received_2898435340183039.jpeg

Edited by Adomas Sviklas

I have never seen the like, but I'm not familiar with the area.  Stylistically, though, the guard and scabbard mount looks a few hundred years newer than the estimate of ca. 1100.  Almost 17th century to my eye, but without context it's impossible to be sure.  :huh:  T-back blades also tend to be more central asian, with some exceptions.  Quite the mystery!  

It's Orcrist! Forged by the Elves of Gondolin in the first age.

seriously though, really cool sword! would be neat to find out more about it.

It doesn't necessarily have to originated in the Baltic region. Swallows fly south  in the winter, Maybe the sword migrated...…….

Blade itself, apart from concave edge could be local. There is many front wider blades and few with T crosssection.

But I think it could be from any century since it was found in lake. Also could be import, Yatvingian region was like a border, south front. During 13-14th there were many battles with Golden horde. So, easily could be something from East. Still need some similar examples.