So it's been a couple months but i'm back. I got my 2 brick forge to work, but now i'm in need of something larger. I am in need of a forge design that it keeping the price to an absolute minimum. Also i don't have access to a welder so it will have to be a no weld build. I've found a relatively cheap source of firebrick so if anyone has a design with firebrick that would be great. Again i do mainly stock removal so forging isn't a must, but i eventually might forge my own damascus so if this forge would be capable of that it would be a bonus. The longest thing i will be heat treating is a chefs knife, 12 inches over all. Thanks for the help and try to remember that i'm on a budget. I would prefer propane but if it comes down to it im prepared to go charcoal.

If you have soft firebrick you can go with gas, but if hard brick is all you can get then charcoal is it.  Of course, with charcoal you don't need anything but a pipe, an air source, and some dirt.

4 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

If you have soft firebrick you can go with gas, but if hard brick is all you can get then charcoal is it.  Of course, with charcoal you don't need anything but a pipe, an air source, and some dirt.

I should have specified i came across a relatively cheap source of soft firebrick. If i go that path though i'm going to need a forge design.

Check this out. Some all thread, nuts and a few pieces of angle iron, heck even an old bed frame and you're good to go. You can easily put the burner on the side so you don't have to weld in the holder.

http://zoellerforge.com/firebrickforge.html

Edit: if you don't already have a burner, check this one out from Anvil Fire. Super simple build, about $50. You'll have to supply you're own regulator and hoses, but hey the hard part will be done!

https://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/products/P-75/

Edited by Brian Myers