Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

camera question

I want to look at a better camera for videoing some of what I play with in the shed, maybe a hunt situation and other related events. I have been using my ph camera but it only allows for 8 minutes of video and it is narrow vertical part of the screen on youtube so have been wondering what you all use for this purpose. I have been thinking about the  GoPro HERO8 and put it up here to get the opinion of those who know more about these things than I do as I dont want to rely on the counter jockey at the camera shops. 

I have a GoPro5 and a DSLR (An old Canon 80D).  The GoPro is great for being rugged, easy to put in tight spaces, and simple to setup.  However, I find that he versatility of the DSLR makes it much easier to setup a shot to capture precisely what I want to capture.  Setting up the framing and exposure levels are much easier than with the GoPro.

If you watch most youtubers, they record most of their stuff on a more flexible platform than the GoPro, and revert to the GoPro when size, or ruggedness is an issue.

I'd like to video more of what I do, but the editing is a killer.  It takes me about 8 hours to  edit 20 minutes of video. :(

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I have a GoPro5 and a DSLR (An old Canon 80D).  The GoPro is great for being rugged, easy to put in tight spaces, and simple to setup.  However, I find that he versatility of the DSLR makes it much easier to setup a shot to capture precisely what I want to capture.  Setting up the framing and exposure levels are much easier than with the GoPro.

If you watch most youtubers, they record most of their stuff on a more flexible platform than the GoPro, and revert to the GoPro when size, or ruggedness is an issue.

I'd like to video more of what I do, but the editing is a killer.  It takes me about 8 hours to  edit 20 minutes of video. :(

Thanks Brian. That is the same advise I got as it turned out that a friend on a NZ hunting FB page is very clued up with cameras (has just gone professional photographer) and between his advise and others on the same page I am going to get the Cannon Powershot SX740 HS Black. It is on sale her for another 3 days at US$332
The few advantages with the go pro as far as head band attachment etc didn't outweigh the quality of the Cannon. I will get the small flexible tripod and have a high tripod for use in the shed etc.

The SX740HS is your travel companion with 40x Optical Zoom. Record all of life?s most treasured moments with 4K video and time-lapse; four times the resolution of full HD. Get up close with 40x optical zoom, zoom in to those far distances at pin sharp detail with 40x optical zoom and 80x zoom plus; the equivalent to a 24 mm 960 mm focal length. Snap your selfies with ease, the 180° tilt LCD screen enables you to snap your selfies while checking your appearance, whileSelf Portrait mode will ensure the perfect selfie. Share your photos instantly, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy Technology, keep your camera connected to your smart phone and transfer photos easily with the Camera Connect App.

• 20.3 Megapixels
  • 40 x Optical Zoom
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy Technology
  • 4K Video and Time Lapse
  • Continuously shoot at up to 10 frames p er second
  • 4.3-172.0 mm Focal Length (35 mm equivalent:24-960 mm)
  • 180° tilt 3.0" LCD screen
  • CMOS Sensor
  • Transfer photos easily with the Camera Connect App.
  • Built in Flash
  • Manufacturer Warranty: 24 months
  • Cannon.png

Cool.  It's nice to know my opinion lined up with someone else :)  (It doesn't always happen!)

I don't know that particular camera, but have seen a lot of  them used in the same general price class.  I bet you'l l like that one.

• Like 1