Fly press question for the more knowing...

I searched and couldn't find an answer, so I will have to ask.  I know a treadle hammer would be better in some situations, but to be brutally honest with my knees that just isn't an option.  I was looking at Pieh Tools and Old World anvil fly presses, contemplating the one or two fly press.   I don't do large stock, maybe 1.5 inches at a maximum.   Can you advise if the one will do the trick?  It's pushing the limit on my budget, but it is something I think will help me out as time goes along.   
   Thanks in advance for any help/advice on this.  (I've looked locally for used ones, and they are harder to find than anvils.)

I have a #5 fly press, and they are great for punching, stamping, and fullering, but for drawing out big stock a power hammer is 300% more effective.  Still beats a hand hammer by a long shot, but fly presses are not a viable replacement for a hydraulic press or power hammer for stock reduction. 

• Like 1

Alan, I am in a 'drop cord for da lectric' shop, which is why I was looking into a fly press.   I was thinking the #1 would do the trick.  Power tools that are going to suck serious electricity (or, really, anything beyond a drop cord) is at current nothing more than a pipe dream.

Gotcha.  A #1 flypress is tiny and will barely make a dent on 1" stock, though.  It's more of a jeweler's tool.  If you can find a big one you'd be happier. They are mostly found in the northeastern US on this side of the Atlantic, specifically Connecticut, since that's where the factories that used them were.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Knowing fly presses are not a cheap item in the states (here hauling them costs more than the press!) I would look towards converting a little horizontal log splitter press into a metal squasher as the cheapest way of getting some metal moved on a budget.

I have a little 'el cheapo'  3 ton electric / hydraulic thing I use occasionally for its proper application, that I bet would move 1" sq stock with a bit of beefing up on the frame, and 'aggressive dies' (like pieces of 1" round stock)

Edited by John N

I appreciate the answers.  I have decided that I am not going to waste money on a fly press at this time.  Will consider other options that will be better suited to my purposes.