Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

Tanto edge geometry

Am I right in thinking that commonly the geometry is pretty much a flat grind to the edge?  Or is it a mild convex?  I realize that you could probably find just about every geometry, but in broad terms, what should I be grinding toward?

Geoff

Always convex - the convexity, known as niku ('meat'), is important both functionally and aesthetically. How much curve is open to interpretation, and depends on the shape, spine thickness, purpose and again aesthetics...

Thanks Jake.   I'm at the perfect place in the grind then, just a little thinner than a dime, about 1.3mm.  I think this is going to be a good one.  I got both hada and hamon, nice ghosty pattern.

Geoff

Depends on the shape, but nearly flat is where I like them. I made a lot of meaty ones and they are not as pleasing to the eye or as good at cutting. Keep the meat closer the spine than the edge. 

Posted (edited)

This might be something to read/look at, some of it is readable with google translate, if you have some prior knowledge and can mind bend yourself to figure out what this nonsense could mean but the pictures could be interesting anyway.
http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~osaru/midokoro.htm#jihada

Edited by J.Leon_Szesny

Very flat convex, or as I referred to it for years, a f-d-up flat grind...and please no "armour piercing" katana-style tips!

No kissaki on tanto.....