Do I NEED to grind a specific edge geometry like let's say a 45° angle with a jig on my knives for the secondary bevel? Or could I just grind it for how I want it to cut freehand. Steep for slicing and thicker for chopping?

The appropriate edge angle depends on the knife's intended use, the steel and heat treatment. 

40 minutes ago, Coleton said:

Do I NEED to grind a specific edge geometry

Only if the intended recipient has specified  this.  And even then, you can choose not to.

Most, and by that I don't mean all knives, have a secondary bevel ground at around 10-20 degrees for a razor edge, 21-26 for a "standard" edge and from 27-35 for a working edge. Each one really depends on what the blade is used for. For all my hunting knives, I grind on the high side of standard so I get a good cutting edge that is a bit tougher and can stand up to hard work. For something like a leather or crafting knife, I'd grind a razor edge. A chisel is a special case, it comes with about a 22 degree bevel, but then most woodworkers will put a micro bevel of around 30 on it so it won't go dull as quick.