Rob Toneguzzo

WIP ... A lion at Last

Hi Fellas, 

I often have too much on the go and not enough time ( I know I am not alone in this)

This is a project I have been working on and thought I would share the process.

For this project I broke my own rule for my wildlife paintings.

I go into the field and take my own reference photos of only truly wild animals and paint from them. That way I get to know my subject and compose my image and try to capture what I have experienced first hand, and it is all my own work.

However for this painting of a young lion I was not able to take such an image as the only lions in Australia are in zoos and I refuse to paint animals in zoos.

Just a personal thing, as I believe the eyes are truly the window to the soul and when I look into a zoo animals eyes I feel the true animal in no longer there.

Anyhow I have friends in Africa who run a Self Safari business and were so kind to give me permission to paint one of their fantastic images.

This painting is of a young lion who was pushed out on his own and is doing it tough. When it’s finished It will be titled “ One Day, I will be King”

Anyhow it is still a WIP with a long way to go but I thought I would document the process for those interested.

91911DC2-8364-4966-B5BF-35C46E0A62CC.jpeg

110B3C63-1910-46FF-94FE-CDBE2E6D2F61.jpeg

FE064BCC-772C-4873-8ED4-E4D7770DACA4.jpeg

5D329841-7C88-4BDD-A9F6-7147F0B963D0.jpeg

Some more

68B6280E-ACB3-47D2-B1BD-17EBAF1FC281.jpeg

80682C76-830E-477A-933C-323F086C460F.jpeg

A16315DD-F800-42FB-A474-32003E782932.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Not sure what happened to that upside down pic

8FBC236A-C302-46D3-8546-56C6392E23D5.jpeg

AB001DF0-FBDB-4011-A306-1BC7F336F681.jpeg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

59838164-84B7-4FE8-9FF4-C2CF7E970751.jpeg

42838EAA-25D4-434A-A547-91C696271F7A.jpeg

• Like 3

Wow I'm amazed.  In the fourth WIP, I thought you had installed glass eyes.  Really appreciate you sharing this Rob.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That's going to be beautiful, thanks for sharing, Rob.  Both your work and your philosophy....The world could use more of your way of experiencing the world.

You make me want to follow this guy's life, now...

Edited by billyO
  • Thanks 1

If you weren't Sicilian, I'd probably have to start hating you. 

Damn you are good.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

If you weren't Sicilian, I'd probably have to start hating you. 

Damn you are good.

Thanks Josh and I don’t want you to have to start hating me. There is an English wildlife artist called Alan Hunt. Google his work, man he is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

Good night Rob, this is amazing. You certainly understand the painting process. Great talent you have and please continue!

Gary LT

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob. I feel completely inadequate now...….:o

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Thanks Rob. I feel completely inadequate now...….:o

Hey don’t worry. He makes me feel that way too. But I like that as it gives something to aspire too. Like when I first joined this forum and was and still am in awe of the artisans here. Hey Josh... There has even been times when you have made me feel inadequate too hahaha esp with your pinned thread of 6 blades. I honestly hope in some way we all inspire each other to do our best work. Other than family the two things I really value are time and knowledge and While the forum cannot give us time it freely shares knowledge and that is invaluable and weather or not you realise it you are a wonderful sharer of knowledge and for that my friend..... I salute you....so you don’t need to hate me :D

7 hours ago, Gary LT said:

Good night Rob, this is amazing. You certainly understand the painting process. Great talent you have and please continue!

Gary LT

Thanks Gary

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful work Rob. My father was a sculptor and painter from Torino, Italy, so I learned some artistic skills, but this is far beyond my ability.  Well done.

• Thanks 1

I don’t have it in me to hate anyone. Well, maybe some politicians, but  that’s another subject for another time and place.

13 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

I honestly hope in some way we all inspire each other to do our best work. Other than family the two things I really value are time and knowledge and While the forum cannot give us time it freely shares knowledge and that is invaluable

I couldn’t have said it better.

Rock on brother.

• Like 1