Alex Ostacchini

Medieval Bauernwehr- German Hunting Set

Hi all, I have just joined here but been reading and browsing for quite a while. I've been making knives for around half a year now, with this being number ten (and eleven), but this is my first big one that isn't a simple little eating knife so wanted to share.

This is 15th/16th century German style Bauernwehr, I say style as it is not copied from anything in particular and i'm sure there will be something i have not done quite right, but I hope it looks the part. I have done this as a three piece set in the manner of medieval hunting sets, so there is a little byknife and pricker too. The blades are forged from 1075+cr (bauernwehr) and 1080 (other two), with mild steel fittings and yew handle scales. The sheath is multi pocketed to hold all three pieces, and has tooled vine decoration and a simple fabricated steel chape.

The whole point of this was as an experimental learning process really so I tried to pick a knife with as many new things as possible. Probably took much longer than it should have done but I am pleased with the final result and lots learnt for the next one. Any critiques much appreciated as I am very new to this and finding my way a bit, I hope you like it!

Cheers 

Alex 

1.JPG3.JPG2.JPGDSC_9653.JPGDSC_9711.JPGDSC_9686.JPG

• Like 9

Very nice work!

Very nice.  I love the way you made it with matching lines so it's clear that it comes from one hand.  I need to make one of these.

Geoff

3 hours ago, Alex Ostacchini said:

simple fabricated steel chape

That's what you call "simple"...  Wow, just wow.

Who really cares if the set is traditional or not, it is a beauty in every sense of the word. That is some way to indroduce yourself Alex so welcome to the forum.

Wow, that is some really impressive work for someone who says they’re new to bladesmithing!

Thanks for the kind words all

10 hours ago, Dan Hertzson said:

That's what you call "simple"...  Wow, just wow.

While I have tried to file in some detail to match it with everything else, it is essentially just two two  components soldered together, so I suppose I mean in terms of construction really.

6 hours ago, Simon W said:

Wow, that is some really impressive work for someone who says they’re new to bladesmithing!

Thankyou, while I am new to blades and certainly no blacksmith I am lucky enough to make things for a job so have a little experience with working with tools and particulary leatherwork . It is only because of quarantine that I have had the time to spend on this!

Cheers

Alex

Welcome, and wow!  Nice work all round!  

A beautiful set - I can't wait to see what you produce next!  

those are lovely. I love the way the nagel extends back to the first rivet, and the handle scales look great. I don't go for mirror polish (I think that's what I saw). However, you are making really nice work.

Welcome! I have a soft spot for this style, too. I really enjoy them. 

Very impressive, I love yew and it complements the sheath colour well.